Help Request_Choosing the Right Subwoofer Connection Option - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Art01 is offline Art01  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help Request_Choosing the Right Subwoofer Connection Option

I have a Paradigm DSP-3400 powered subwoofer and a Denon AVR-790 7.1 channel AV Receiver. The DSP-3400 has line level audio inputs L/R, with the Right Input being marked for LFE input.

The Paradigm Owners Manual explains hookup options, but is sketchy about choosing the best option. The Denon Manual is comprehensive, but is a poor Japanese-English translation.

I also have a number of other AV Receivers and multiple speaker options, but I want to just focus on choosing the best hookup for listening to Audio CDs (standard stereo CDs). I use Sony DVD Changers to play the CDs because the CD changers have a Resume Play feature. The changers have both Digital and analogue audio output options.

I understand the mechanics of the various hookup options - what I want is information pertaining to whether or not to use the LFE output from the Denon and connect it to the LFE input on the Paradigm, or use an auxiliary L/R audio output from the Denon to connect audio signals to the L/R Paradigm inputs.

The questions are:

1. For listening to two-channel CD audio, which is the best hookup method?

2. If the LFE method is recommended, how should I set the LFE cutoff filters in both the Paradigm and Denon units?

3. If the auxiliary audio L/R method is best, what settings are recommended for the Paradigm cutoff control (the control is continuously variable)?

4. Other comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Best to everyone,

Art
Old 15th June 2010, 12:21 AM   #2
gooki is offline gooki  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

1. Use an auxiliary L/R audio output from the Denon
2. You only need to set it in the Denon unit. Best frequency will depend on main speakers, and sub. I'd start at 80hz.
3. Start at 80hz, and adjust based on what you hear/measure.
4. Try them both and choose the method that sounds best to you.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Art01 is offline Art01  United States
diyAudio Member

Default About Selecting Best Subwoofer Connection Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post
1. Use an auxiliary L/R audio output from the Denon
2. You only need to set it in the Denon unit. Best frequency will depend on main speakers, and sub. I'd start at 80hz.
3. Start at 80hz, and adjust based on what you hear/measure.
4. Try them both and choose the method that sounds best to you.
Thanks for your reply. I believe I have discovered a little hidden issue (at least hidden from me) since I posted the earlier email. I have experimented, both with L/R audio inputs derived from an auxiliary output on the Denon and with the Denon LFE output. However, I believe I have learned that, if I use the Denon LFE output, then I must connect only to the Right Input on the Paradigm subwoofer (the Right input is marked "LFE").

If I connect from the Denon LFE output to both the L/R inputs on the Paradigm, then I get spurious low frequency noises while playing certain CDs. I have this same condition if I connect from the Denon auxiliary line outputs L/R to the Paradigm L/R inputs. I have essentially eliminated this condition by connecting the Denon LFE output to the Right input only.

I have the Denon LFE cutoff at 80Hz and I vary the Paradigm cutoff, along with the Paradigm level control, depending upon the music being played.

Watching movies has always been satisfactory so far as 7.1 Sound has been concerned.

Comments?

Best,

Art

Hide this!Advertise here!