Adire Koda 8 tapped horn , advice needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Adire Koda 8 tapped horn , advice needed

I've had a pair of Adire Koda 8 sitting on the shelf for over two years begging to be used . A tapped horn looks like a good application as these have X-max of 12mm . Two Hornresp alignments are shown but I'm at a loss which one to go for . I'm not after mega SPL's but wondering what the drawbacks are for each set of numbers . I can see the magnet of the Koda may be an issue , would it be advisable to 'build out the horn around the magnet ?

cheers

316a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koda.JPG (53.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 15th June 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting, based on sims, until tuned very low, this driver doesn't seem to like to be horn loaded at all. Anyway, in theory, the sim's peaking will be flattened somewhat, so if such a narrow BW works for you, then either should be fine and since more efficiency is always theoretically better, the larger of the two would be my choice.

That said, from just looking at some pictures, this driver's surround doesn't look like it can handle any real acoustic compression, so if this driver wasn't recommended for BP loading it probably won't do well in a TH either.

GM
Old 16th June 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input . I'm beginning to think the Ciare 12SW may be worth investing in rather than using the currently 'free' Koda 8's

cheers

316a
Old 16th June 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! Not familiar with the Ciare, but the Koda seems best suited for a small sealed cab.

GM
Old 17th June 2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I would just go for a normal bass reflex box. You'll need the extra efficiency at the bottom end, else you'll have to add equalisation. I'm assuming that your application is home use, not in a car...? Else, if it is for car use, I'd agree with previous poster and use it sealed.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Interesting, based on sims, until tuned very low, this driver doesn't seem to like to be horn loaded at all. Anyway, in theory, the sim's peaking will be flattened somewhat, so if such a narrow BW works for you, then either should be fine and since more efficiency is always theoretically better, the larger of the two would be my choice.

That said, from just looking at some pictures, this driver's surround doesn't look like it can handle any real acoustic compression, so if this driver wasn't recommended for BP loading it probably won't do well in a TH either.

GM
I've noticed a lot of car audio drivers need redonkulously huge boxes to do a tapped horn. Looks like it's due to their heavy cones, high QMS, and high QTS. OTOH, if one had a lot of space, XBL is nice.
Old 17th June 2010, 03:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I would just go for a normal bass reflex box.
Yeah, I looked at a low tuned vented alignment, but the vent is so long it might as well be a TQWT or a tapped variant, though again, I'm kind of skeptical about the latter with this driver, but only one way to know for sure though.

GM
Old 17th June 2010, 03:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I've noticed a lot of car audio drivers need redonkulously huge boxes to do a tapped horn.
Interesting, the ones I've simmed tended to be so small it took two drivers to make it big enough to mount them.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!