First sub build advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 01:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First sub build advice

This will be my first subwoofer build.

I'd been thinking about making a folded horn of some sort with a 12" or 15" driver.

My room is about 22x20 with an average vaulted ceiling height of maybe 7 feet, 9 feet at the highest point. There's a staircase area that is about 3 feet wide by 10 feet long connected to the lower floor. Near the bottom of the staircase is the smallest connecting area is about 3' by 7'.

Via that small opening the room is connected to some serious cubic footage. The dining room, living room, kitchen, a small dining nook, all with vaulted ceilings. How concerned should I be with an opening that size?

I'm not really concerned with music use for this sub.

I have some Poly Natalia's I built some time ago that I use as main's and for music. I am quite satisfied with their music performance without a sub. This is a 3 way design with a 5.25" midrange and 2 8" woofers per side.

I am primarily looking to use this sub for home theater. Advice? Are there popuplar designs out there currently that would fit my needs? The only limitation is it has to fit up and down the stairs which are 3' wide and have a corner in the middle it has to make it around.
Old 16th June 2010, 06:03 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

A traditional sub horn is so large it normally is built into the house/room. Today, folks are using tapped horns (TH) with one or more high power/excursion smaller drivers to keep size semi-manageable.

Doorways act as high tuned coupling vents, so for the most part don't affect bass response unless they're wide enough to be a significant portion of a wall, then you can use them to fine tune the room somewhat.

OK, so assuming a ~40-50 Hz XO point, something like DSL's dual 12" DTS 10 should fill the bill. Unfortunately, it uses custom drivers, so a similar one would have to be designed and tweaked to suit with no guarantee it will perform the same. Danley DTS-10 "Super Spud" DIY kit - AVS Forum

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!