Feedback on Sub Construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have decided to try and build a sub as my first DIY project.

After listening to a bit of advice and recommendations on a few websites I have decided to go for a Exodus Audio Tempest-X driver with something like a Behringer EP4000 Amp and a Behringer DCX2496 to split the signal.

On reading some info on the Tempest-X, it was suggested a 200L box would be a good match and heavy bracing was recommended. So I thought something like this maybe the way to go (top, bottom and sides removed to show bracing). Its approx. 70cm(H)x50cm(W)x60cm(D).

Sub.jpg
Sub1.jpg

The construction has begun:

DSC01248.jpg
DSC01249.jpg
DSC01250.jpg

Any feedback welcome.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
You obviously have never "Blown" things up for a living have you??
Both are extremely brissant explosives .

I hope the walls are going to be of the same quality as the bracing; 25mm marine plywood and 32mm MDF glued together should do it, again nothing like overkill.
Seriously tho 2 layers; 12mmMDF and 16mm marine ply wood glued together would be ( pardon the punny) extremely rigid and dead

My first sub(Paradigm Servo-15) a coffee lasted about 3 seconds on top before rattling off.I used a place mat on top.So when i did my first prototype i used 2 braces and 1inch MDF and a CSS-15....the coffee lasts about 30seconds.My next build will be 3 braces,2" all around with2.75 front baffel and Baltic birch/MDF and a goal of about 3 minutes coffee stability.All tests done with Madonna's Vogue at around 100db at 20hz.
You will have no problem holding a cup of coffee on that baby for nearly 10 minutes i suspect.Keep up the good work.

After listening to a bit of advice and recommendations on a few websites I have decided to go for a Exodus Audio Tempest-X driver with something like a Behringer EP4000 Amp and a Behringer DCX2496 to split the signal.

Nix the 2496. You need the dbx. It has the subharmonic synth built in - the Berry does not.

All tests done with Madonna's Vogue at around 100db at 20hz.

Now try that test with the sub synth. Hope your insurance is current.

You will have no problem holding a cup of coffee on that baby for nearly 10 minutes i suspect.Keep up the good work.

Unless you can get BB ply way cheaper than many of us, better to spend your money on a second driver and a relatively lightly constructed bi-pole cab. If you want overkill, top it off with a Velcro retained slab of granite, slate, marble, heavy planter or similar to mass load it. You coffee will still be where you left it regardless of how long it sits on it.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.