Eclosure suitable for this driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, :)

I got a 8 inch driver with the below mention specifications. I did built vented enclosure but was not really very happy with its performance. I would give all details of my design to you but later so that your suggestions won't get biased ,I request you all to suggest me a design for the driver like Vol. Vent length, diameter. material to be used for enclosure with recommended wall thickness and enclosure dimensions.

The specifications are:

Fs 31.55 Hz
Re 3.5 ohms[dc]
Qt 0.34 -
Qes 0.36 -
Qms 5.15 -
Mms 60.32 grams
Rms 2.320438 kg/s
Cms 0.000422 m/N
Vas 38.37 liters
Sd 254.47 cm^2
Bl 10.765342 Tm
Lp(2.83V/1m) 90.76 dB
Xmax 6.75 mm

Last edited:
Well, you don't say intended use...
You don't say what you didn't like...
Are the specs accurate measured or advertised specs?

Without using software or anything, I would say a start would be 25-35 liters, tuned to 35-32 Hz....port dims, wall thickness and enclosure dimensions are secondary....not to say they are not important, but the devil is in the details.

Thanks Ron,

You were really quick, Well I intent to use this woofer with my home theater 65% for music.
I haven't disclosed what I didn't like, so that the the suggestions would not be tuned to my personal choice. about the specifications, yes they are actually measured but the to my astonishment the specifications provided by manufacturer is hardly different.

GM

Joined 2003
Well, there's always a 0.5 Qtc sealed to get the extension required for HT as well as the critical damping for music, but the price of course is limited dynamics.

A low tuned TH will get you more dynamics down to an octave below Fs with high damping at the expense of increased cab size, but four drivers at rated power in sealed cabs that sum to the same net Vb yields the same performance; so if budget permits, my choice would be to buy three more drivers and locate these small ~61 L net sealed cabs around the room to even out its modes somewhat.

A good compromise option if only one driver would be a T-TQWT, but I'll let bjorno do his 'thing'. ;)

BTW, for my records, what make/model is this and what is its Pe, Le?

GM

Boxplot_Vented

Hi,

Here is Boxplot's vented alignment.

Regards,

Attachments

• Aucosticraft_8in_vented.jpg
    Aucosticraft_8in_vented.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 99
GM, tb46 and bjorno, Thank you all for the reply. I am studying on what you said. actually I have to get my Sound Card replace so that I can re-tune my subwoofer.

Well the make is Iwai its India made. these people don't have dealers they directly sell. cost is really good. and these people are really supportive once they know you are serious designer. also these people are OEM for some International brands.

please go through the screen below for my current design

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 80
Post #7

Hi Aucosticraft,

There seems to be something wrong with the vent area/length ratio, when I use Boxplot to calculate for the same volume I get:

Vb = 23.45 L (0.83ft^3)
Fb = 36.2 Hz
Av = 6.2 cm Dia.-30.29cm^2 (2.44"Dia.-4.68in^2)
Lv = 25 cm (9.83")

Regards,

Last edited:
Yes tb46, thanks, I too noticed it. The tool "Subwoofer simulator" gives good vb for deep and optimized bass. With some other projects I did experiment I usually make a larger enclosure then gradually reducing the volume I tune it to my need. while changing enclosure volume, I have to tune port too. while I was experimenting this way I found this tool gives me the bass I am looking for. but I always tune port with experiment.

I am waiting for new soundcard, so with the help of LIMP I could get the true picture.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.