Tempest X-2 in 8 cu.ft. sealed box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tempest X-2 in 8 cu.ft. sealed box

Folks, I would appreciate some input on this set up, please.

I have two 15" Tempest X-2 woofers. I intend to fit them to an eight cu.ft. sealed box comparable to the box for the vented Focal 15" Audiom without the vent. The box plans are on the Zalytron site. Look under Home Theater and then click on the Orca link. The plans are at the bottom of the page.

This combination appears pretty straight forward and simple. No filters, no equalization and good response. They (the woofers) will be used with the Aria 6 (for the center and surrounds) also on the Zalytron site and should crossover well at 80hz.

Any thoughts on improving this setup such as size, bracing, dimensions or location of the driver?

I have signed and notarized permission to build these.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 06:45 PM   #2
jaekfre is offline jaekfre  United States
diyAudio Member

This would definitely work. It's hard to go wrong with a sealed box.

Not knowing your goals of this project makes it hard to advise though. The Unibox spreadsheet is showing a 4ft^3 enclosure with both drivers only 3db lower at 20hz and about 1.25db lower at 30hz compared to the 8ft^3 enclosure. It may be beneficial to look into different enclosure sizes to see if they will allow you to meet your goals.

I look forward to reading about the outcome of this project. Have fun.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond, jaekfre.

To clarify, I am planning on constructing an eight cu.ft. enclosure for each woofer. I understand two should sound better than one. About 25hz at a modest level will probably be enough for me. I don't want to have to re screw the sheetrock on the ceiling.

I am trying to keep this project as simple as possible. I am a rank beginner and other than wood working and soldering skills, I am lost.

I realize The things I will be doing will not sound as good as top of the line equipment, but I'm hoping for a better than average performance from them. I am going to give it my best shot and accept the outcome, whatever that may be.
Old 9th June 2010, 02:53 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Q of about 0.6, so should be as high an SQ as a driver with a high inductance can have short of a well damped TL or horn, so as a compromise, stuffing it to further lower its Qtc is in theory a good plan. Ditto moving the driver all the way to the bottom.

GM
Old 9th June 2010, 03:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, GM. The Exodus site does recommend stuffing an eight cu.ft. box 100% with polyester. I am going to do away with the vent and use the same dimensions shown on the Orca Design drawings, so the woofer can be lowered a bit in this case.

Well, got to pickup a few things and get to work.
Old 10th June 2010, 03:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliams20 View Post
Any thoughts on improving this setup such as size, bracing, dimensions or location of the driver?
I read it as 2 drivers in on cab, so that's what the sims below are for: unstuffed, 225L net, 1000W to each driver.

Bracing: a fair amount of it.
Driver locations: depending upon the size and shape of the box on opposite sides will cancel out some vibration and the possibility of the sub walking at high level.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Exodus Tempest X15-2 2x 225L FR.gif (21.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: gif Exodus Tempest X15-2 2x 225L x.gif (21.3 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Brett; 10th June 2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11th June 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Interesting, Brett. And I appreciate your reply. I wouldn't have expected exceeding Xmax at 30hz. Does exceeding Xmax occur more frequently with smaller or larger enclosures? I'm thinking smaller. I may have to rethink this project.

Hide this!Advertise here!