Unique Sub Setup for DJing Need Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been checking on here for a while, thought it was about time to get on here.

Anyways, I am a hobbist/weekend DJ that does house parties, grad parties, and misc. stuff here and there.

I run everything using Rockford Fosgate equipment (some lightning audio stuff) running everything on a 12v system is a must, I do parties where others cant :).

Anyways, I recently bought some PA Speakers that Rockford Fosgate came out with this year.

But I still wanted a dedicated Subwoofer. I was using a pair of RF 12 inch in a ported box, but now with two loud speakers in my setup its getting bulky and heavy.

So this is what I a came up with. I have about 8 RF Subwoofers, 2 twice are DVC's 15 inch rated around 500w.

I looked through endless PA box designs (I used to do tuned box building in car audio so nothing I couldn't do) but I wanted something that didnt need casters and a crane for me to handle.

I found this to work out well :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Before you go WTF, it doesnt ping or have any metallic sounds.

The barrell is about 14.5 diameter, and about 26 inches long.

Here is the manual for the subwoofer:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/library/manuals/dvc-woofers-man.pdf

I plan out cutting a section on the bottom putting some scrap 5/8 MDF board down and wiring and porting it there. The plan is to have the barrel on its side when in use. I would like to tune it around the 35hz area. The 12 inch woofers in my PA speakers hit very low for what they are, much more than typical woofers in PA systems (Good job Rockford Fosgate!), but still lack the low end these DVC puppies can hit.

The interior cubic feet is right about 2.3, while the manual calls for 2.25 in a ported setup, so I assume I should run a slightly longer port. I am also only going to be running about 250w to it.

I have SPL'ed 1 of the DVCs in my old cavalier at 144.4 in a sealed enclosure.

The barrel was used for my auto shop (was mobil 1 10-30w :D) I THINK its a 22 gal. barrel but it doesnt say.

I tested it on a RF amp with 150w total going to it in a 2ohm load, with the sub reverse mounted so it would seal, it puts off bass around the barrel cylinder, not much at the ends. With it this way I got the highest db @ 50hz, it dipped pretty low past 35hz it seemed. I assume because the larger enclosure.

If anyone has some input I would be more than glad to hear it :)

Here is a quick pic of my Fullrange RF speakers that will complement the subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.