Mivoc subwoofers- low bass, great value; whats the catch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Anyone used these?

I am actually now building a classic 3way monitor using the 12" AW3000
I decided on a closed box around 40-45 liter netto

Whether its a sub driver or just a nice woofer would be a matter of priorities
I think of it as a woofer
49EUR is a very nice price

Attachments

• MIVOC.PNG
    MIVOC.PNG
    41.6 KB · Views: 615
hello.
mivoc is a wellknown trademark in germany (see speakertrade/solingen).
there are two german speaker builder magazine's (klang&ton ,and hobby hifi) that worked out examples with this.............
k&t 6/2006 an active subwoofer called versacube (aw300 in 35 liter closed) with a hypex ampmodul....................
k&t 4/2006 a passive bandpass box (two aw3000 speakers front to front built in one vented box...........translation?)
and hobby hifi 5/06 and 6/06...........
greetings

Last edited:
When i modeled both, the smaller unit (AW2000) in a bass reflex gets a very good response with a box volume of 29 litres and a Fb of around 24. It drops slowly/smoothly from 100 hz to an F3 of under 30 hz, if I roll off (3rd order) at 70 hz or so. Great performance for such a small enclosure(if this is correct).

Last edited:
datasheet aw2000 in post 1
gehäuseempfehlung...........box recommended;
geschlossen.......closed (box);
bassreflex........vented (box);
basskorrektur.........bass corrected (with an amp);
diese gehäuseempfehlungen sind nur anhaltspunkte..........these box recommendations are only clues;

the examples are with use of an active bassmodule (am 80) and bass amplified +3.......+4db;
greets

Last edited:
They both look like nice drivers for a 6th order vented box. They will probably require passive radiators (because of the small box size).

The 8 looks like it would be good in a 15L box, tuned to Fs, with a Q=2 filter at Fs.

The 12 looks like it would be good in a 40L box, tuned to Fs, with a Q=2 filter at Fs.

Don't put the Mivocs in a vented box.
Use a closed enclosure.

The AWM104 is a great value driver in 10-14 liter closed.
Good enough to have a -3dB of 30Hz and a maximum of 100dB.
(with some active filters)

The Mivoc drivers al the same as the Raveland AXX serie

Here some pictures of my mini subwoofer:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And with the Raveland:

Last edited:
What would be the benefit for a BR subwoofer?
The T/S specs with the enclosure make it that you'll need a long tube.
Also the groupdelay would be horrible.

So, unless you want use it for HT subwoofer I would recommend it in a closed box.
30Hz and 100dB is ok for the most rooms I think or you can make two mini-subs to have even more SPL.
(would be also better for in-room resonances etc)

(the curves of my mini-sub where all sanded by hand :p)

Last edited:
What would be the benefit for a BR subwoofer?
The T/S specs with the enclosure make it that you'll need a long tube.
Also the groupdelay would be horrible.

So, unless you want use it for HT subwoofer I would recommend it in a closed box.
30Hz and 100dB is ok for the most rooms I think or you can make two mini-subs to have even more SPL.
(would be also better for in-room resonances etc)

This is interesting - I was thinking of using the AW2000 in a vented sub or subs, i thought it suited BR. I was trying to get just below 30 hz -3db so these specs are very good- excuse my ignorance, what is group delay and why do these suffer from it?

edit- when I model AWM 104 on linear team in a 18 litre sealed, I can't get nr that f3 of 30 hz- its more like 50 hz (depending on where the crossover point is). Also two german sites give different specs on this driver...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.