compact sub - sealed or passive radiator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
want to use the Jordan JX150 in two small passive subs (placement either in front of the speakers or both subs can become one unit and slide under sofa).

Not sure which design to go for, PR or sealed.

JX150 has a resonant freq of about 25 hz. I don't mind losing the 3 db that a sealed design would bring as I think the jx150's are about 2db more sensitive than the main speakers.
I would like the drive unit facing towards the floor and was thinking about 40 litres for each sub.

two questions-

if i use a PR (dayton 10 inch)does it matter if the PR is facing upwards are downwards?

If I go for a sealed enclosure would I lose bass extension if the driver is facing towards the floor rather than facing away?

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

using Michell Alecto Monoblocks for main speakers and sub(s).

I'm now looking at two designs (made in corian)-
a one box sealed sub with two jx150s. One 90 litre compartment or separate 45 litre, not sure which is best. This would be slim enough to hide under a sofa or upright against a wall.

Or alternatively two small BR subs using Mivoc drivers placed in front of the main speakers.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
I would like the drive unit facing towards the floor and was thinking about 40 litres for each sub.

if i use a PR (dayton 10 inch)does it matter if the PR is facing upwards are downwards?

Hmm, based on published specs this driver's mass/compliance ratio is too great for up-down firing without potential mechanical damage at high excursion. For sure the PR is, so driver on one side, PR opposite side.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.