Looking for info on speaker building (NOT ENLCOSURE THE ACTUAL DRIVER) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
hispls is offline hispls  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for info on speaker building (NOT ENLCOSURE THE ACTUAL DRIVER)

Searching forums and google for "subwoofer building" "Speaker building" etc. comes up with a zillion projects for enclosures and even some powered system plans.

I'm looking for good info/discussion on actually building up a driver. Also finding a good supplier of high quality parts would be nice, I have good sources for all but coils right now (and am working on finding source for formers/wire so I can wind my own).

Click the image to open in full size.

Pic related....it's a Shocker USA Sig motor. I have 2 in hand and 1 more on the way.

Built some up as 15's with some parts I got from Sundown Audio, here:
Click the image to open in full size.

I feel, however; that the coils are the weak link on these and I'm a little uncertain about the suspension I'm using. I would also have liked to use push terminals but the motors are too big for them to fit.

Anyway, I'd love to see some real tech talk about how different factors change performance. Things such as mass changes, stiffness of suspension, and other things. Ideally I can build and test these to achieve different goals and in different sizes and do some experimenting.

These motors are incredibly strong and have a lot of potential. If someone could point me in the right direction to do my own research I'd be very grateful and will post my builds/experience here if anyone cares or thinks it would be useful to this forum. I suspect this is a bit extreme for most folks here, but then again I KNOW people use TC LMS drivers in HT applications and those are pretty over-the-top.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi hispis,

i have searched a lot on the net but found nothing speacial.there are few cad
tools to design eg finemotor and speaD.femm is free tool to simulate motor design.i myself made a 18 inch woofer from raw parts.i was way far from what i simulated.the reasons i think are my coil and steel plates i have used.
i wound my own coil on glass fibre former.magnets were y25 grade.right now i dont have money to further play with big boy.i ll post my pics and measurements tomorrow.please visit the loudsoft site there you will find some tutorial on building the driver.usually adding mass lowers the resonant
frequency ,sensitivity and qts. increasing vas.stiffer suspension
means higher fs,qts and lower vas..height of the manetic gap and weight of moving parts decides the sensitivity of the driver.smaller the magnetic gap
higher the flux density in the gap so the sensitivity.hee is the link for motor structure and design.

LDSG Section*1 - driver motors

regards

ravs

be a vegeterian..........
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

^^^^^

Thanks for the link...it's a good start on the fundamentals I think! Send me a link to your home-built if you have a build-log.

Of course I'm not going to try to build my own motors only the softparts. I KNOW there must be some threads on a forum somewhere where people discuss actual experiments and data.

Also if anyone knows a build-house who might sell me some 3" voice coils that will handle a LOT of thermal power I'm open to suggestions.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:34 AM   #4
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 3" Voice Coil

Hi,

Take a look at ebay, seller:vizioso, item:SPEAKER VOICE COIL, KAPTON, REPAIR, WOOFER 3". Just something that caught my eye, no personal experience.

Regards,
Old 26th May 2010, 02:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Probably not what you are realy after but here is a link where someone has used
the frame, voice coil and magnet from a fostex driver to build a new driver.

FE167E??????????????????????
Old 26th May 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi,

Take a look at ebay, seller:vizioso, item:SPEAKER VOICE COIL, KAPTON, REPAIR, WOOFER 3". Just something that caught my eye, no personal experience.

Regards,
Found that allready. Definitely too wimpy for my needs. I will need Annodized Aluminum former (or carbon fiber...but that's a pipe dream I think) for strength and heat resistance. The wire guage on the coils is really not going to cut it (I'm looking to throw 10X the power at them he's rating them at) and the wind height is only about a third of what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Probably not what you are realy after but here is a link where someone has used
the frame, voice coil and magnet from a fostex driver to build a new driver.

FE167E??????????????????????
Damn, that looks nice!!!! I'm pretty sure a wood cone would not hold up to my motor, but that is an awesome project...wish I could read Chinesee, I suspect there's something to learn there.

You guys in here build your own amps and ribbon drivers but NOBODY has built their own woofers? I KNOW somebody on here knows or knows where to find what I'm really after.

I did find some coils that I think will do the job, but they're 60$ + shipping. Might have to bite the bullet, but still looking for more real world experience discussion.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:03 PM   #7
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Japanese. Give the browser translator a lash.
Old 26th May 2010, 02:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
Japanese. Give the browser translator a lash.

Indeed. Will attempt translation when I have some time.

Man, people are so tight with this info. It's easier to get people to tell you about their fishing hole
Old 27th May 2010, 12:43 PM   #9
al meta is offline al meta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

voicecoil magazine has alot of industry suppliers of driver parts listed.

audioXpress - Voice Coil
Old 27th May 2010, 01:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al meta View Post
voicecoil magazine has alot of industry suppliers of driver parts listed.

audioXpress - Voice Coil
Looks like they want you to be in the industry to get a subscription. Bet it would have everything I'm after though.

Hide this!Advertise here!