Looking for info on speaker building (NOT ENLCOSURE THE ACTUAL DRIVER)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Searching forums and google for "subwoofer building" "Speaker building" etc. comes up with a zillion projects for enclosures and even some powered system plans.

I'm looking for good info/discussion on actually building up a driver. Also finding a good supplier of high quality parts would be nice, I have good sources for all but coils right now (and am working on finding source for formers/wire so I can wind my own).

DSC06319.JPG

Pic related....it's a Shocker USA Sig motor. I have 2 in hand and 1 more on the way.

Built some up as 15's with some parts I got from Sundown Audio, here:
DSC06328.JPG

I feel, however; that the coils are the weak link on these and I'm a little uncertain about the suspension I'm using. I would also have liked to use push terminals but the motors are too big for them to fit.

Anyway, I'd love to see some real tech talk about how different factors change performance. Things such as mass changes, stiffness of suspension, and other things. Ideally I can build and test these to achieve different goals and in different sizes and do some experimenting.

These motors are incredibly strong and have a lot of potential. If someone could point me in the right direction to do my own research I'd be very grateful and will post my builds/experience here if anyone cares or thinks it would be useful to this forum. I suspect this is a bit extreme for most folks here, but then again I KNOW people use TC LMS drivers in HT applications and those are pretty over-the-top.

Thanks in advance.

hi hispis,

i have searched a lot on the net but found nothing speacial.there are few cad
tools to design eg finemotor and speaD.femm is free tool to simulate motor design.i myself made a 18 inch woofer from raw parts.i was way far from what i simulated.the reasons i think are my coil and steel plates i have used.
i wound my own coil on glass fibre former.magnets were y25 grade.right now i dont have money to further play with big boy.i ll post my pics and measurements tomorrow.please visit the loudsoft site there you will find some tutorial on building the driver.usually adding mass lowers the resonant
frequency ,sensitivity and qts. increasing vas.stiffer suspension
means higher fs,qts and lower vas..height of the manetic gap and weight of moving parts decides the sensitivity of the driver.smaller the magnetic gap
higher the flux density in the gap so the sensitivity.hee is the link for motor structure and design.

LDSG Section*1 - driver motors

regards

ravs

be a vegeterian..........

^^^^^

Thanks for the link...it's a good start on the fundamentals I think! Send me a link to your home-built if you have a build-log.

Of course I'm not going to try to build my own motors only the softparts. I KNOW there must be some threads on a forum somewhere where people discuss actual experiments and data.

Also if anyone knows a build-house who might sell me some 3" voice coils that will handle a LOT of thermal power I'm open to suggestions.

Hi,

Take a look at ebay, seller:vizioso, item:SPEAKER VOICE COIL, KAPTON, REPAIR, WOOFER 3". Just something that caught my eye, no personal experience.

Regards,

Found that allready. Definitely too wimpy for my needs. I will need Annodized Aluminum former (or carbon fiber...but that's a pipe dream I think) for strength and heat resistance. The wire guage on the coils is really not going to cut it (I'm looking to throw 10X the power at them he's rating them at) and the wind height is only about a third of what I'm after.

Probably not what you are realy after but here is a link where someone has used
the frame, voice coil and magnet from a fostex driver to build a new driver.

FE167E??????????????????????

Damn, that looks nice!!!! I'm pretty sure a wood cone would not hold up to my motor, but that is an awesome project...wish I could read Chinesee, I suspect there's something to learn there.

You guys in here build your own amps and ribbon drivers but NOBODY has built their own woofers? I KNOW somebody on here knows or knows where to find what I'm really after.

I did find some coils that I think will do the job, but they're 60$ + shipping. Might have to bite the bullet, but still looking for more real world experience discussion.

Interesting dream (I mean that in an admiring sense).

What about electric magnets? Few of us have magnetizing gear available but we can make hand-wound coils patiently (or on a friend's lathe) or add coils to an existing permanent magnet.

Is an electric magnet one of those things that make no sense for a manufacturer but is a very clever thing to do for a DIYer? A DIY person might not care about plugging in to the wall, giant rectifiers, the DIYer just might have a very big low voltage transformer sitting around, etc.

Does it make possible large sloppy DIY voice-coils (and gaps) because we can provide immense magnetic fields as a trade-off?

How's that idea?

Last edited:
but there are also lots of free articles:

audioXpress - Voice Coil Articles and Addenda

and who's to say your not in the industry!?

Awesome links!

I think my lack of a business name/address and Tax ID number would keep me out.

Interesting dream (I mean that in an admiring sense).

What about electric magnets? Few of us have magnetizing gear available but we can make hand-wound coils patiently (or on a friend's lathe) or add coils to an existing permanent magnet.

Is an electric magnet one of those things that make no sense for a manufacturer but is a very clever thing to do for a DIYer? A DIY person might not care about plugging in to the wall, giant rectifiers, the DIYer just might have a very big low voltage transformer sitting around, etc.

Does it make possible large sloppy DIY voice-coils (and gaps) because we can provide immense magnetic fields as a trade-off?

How's that idea?

Well there's a thought. Something tells me the input energy would be pretty inefficient and likely wouldn't be a huge cost savings since you'd still need a big chunk of iron + a lot of copper for the core and windings. Also what's the cost of running the electromagnet vs. the cost of just magnetizing a hunk of ceramic or neodium? Will heat be an issue by the time you get a powerful enough magnet to make this worthwhile? Do we even need a more powerful magnet?

Again, if there was a venu to discuss with people who are actually building transducers this would be a great topic to bring up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.