Onkyo Sub will not power up (fuses blow)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I have an Onkyo SKW-540 Sub that will not power up. The LED is no longer illuminated. I took of the back panel and found the 5w/125v fuse has blown. I replaced the fuse with a 5w/125v fuse, but it blew when I plugged the sub back in. Any ideas to what could be happening or how I can fix this?

Thank You.

Zach

one of your power amp output might be shorted. i suggest to see the parts of the unusual appearance like burned or cracked parts, they should be replaced to avoid future problems. Also, try to test the parts of the out-circuit. (never try to power-up the circuit with unpaired output)

If the sub is sent in for repair, that's exactly what they'll do. The tech will grab a new power amp module from the shelf, replace the bad one, test it, mail it back, done. Whether it cost you much is determined by the warranty status.

Blowing fuses is the symptom of shorted output devices. Probably 2SA1943 and 2SC5200 transistors, but that's just my guess from usual asian gear. Test center pin to the side with the ~0.22 ohm emitter resistor with your meter on diode test. If you get zero, you have at least a pair of bad apples. And they always go in pairs :)

Well, once I saw one NPN and two PNPs, but that was a rare occurrence.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.