Mini clone throw - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2010, 07:59 AM   #1
FlipC is offline FlipC  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mini clone throw

Well I got to hear my mini clones
outside for the first time.They are at a walk/rally fund raiser for cancer at a local high schools football field. Course couldn't turn them up but was impressed by the throw on them. Set up on one end of the field. I walked to other and it still had presence.

I can only imagine how
JBells big THs sound at whatever football field they are at.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

are the small versions of his TH ?
Old 15th May 2010, 01:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I guess this one.
MTH-30

might built like like that for my car, the autotuba i had in there isn't enough anymore, and the cubo15 (extended version with eminence) 3015LF http://www.freespeakerplans.com/cubo-15q.html is just a tad too big

Last edited by polviggen; 15th May 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Actually No
I designed these ... crap spring 08 ? They are on these boards somewhere.
Anyway. When DSL came out with the TH Mini I took the known measurements and driver and worked backward using the picture(s) as reference.

So they are 22.5 x24 x15 outer diameter.
Old 16th May 2010, 01:21 AM   #5
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

yep TH directionality rocks. No reason to waste the bass on the birds and the bugs...
Old 16th May 2010, 02:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

the pattern control cant be as good as a big horn though like a stack of labhorns, WSX or similar, the mouths are too small.
Old 16th May 2010, 03:11 AM   #7
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddludd View Post
the pattern control cant be as good as a big horn though like a stack of labhorns, WSX or similar, the mouths are too small.
You've measured this? or at least built some TH set it up outdoors and walked around one?
Old 16th May 2010, 04:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Since there isn't a stack of Lab , WSX or the like anywhere near my area I can not say.

Have heard plenty
of W and other S/C FLH's though and they do. That little mouth is part of the "magic" of a TH.

Rear radiation is minimal.
Highly directional. You can walk around and easily tell this as JBell says. Which is part of the reason I made this thread. I was impressed.
I do wish I could have turned it up and cranked a proper tune (other than pop like Black Eyed Peas etc)

Since I can fit 4 of these in the space
of a single Apache/Furybox, I couldn't imagine 2 banks of 12/16. And think. That is less than 1000 pounds per side!

Guess it is a good think I don't have money
as I would probably kill myself by way of heart stoppage due to too much bass pressure.
Old 16th May 2010, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipC View Post
Since there isn't a stack of Lab , WSX or the like anywhere near my area I can not say.

Have heard plenty
of W and other S/C FLH's though and they do. That little mouth is part of the "magic" of a TH.

Rear radiation is minimal.
Highly directional. You can walk around and easily tell this as JBell says. Which is part of the reason I made this thread. I was impressed.
I do wish I could have turned it up and cranked a proper tune (other than pop like Black Eyed Peas etc)

Since I can fit 4 of these in the space
of a single Apache/Furybox, I couldn't imagine 2 banks of 12/16. And think. That is less than 1000 pounds per side!

Guess it is a good think I don't have money
as I would probably kill myself by way of heart stoppage due to too much bass pressure.
jbell,its no personal insult, I am interested in learning and have already read about horns,including an ancient version of Olsons Acoustics.

Id like to build some, but I am a student who is broke living in a tiny unit, subwoofers are out of the question. Maybe next year.

I have read plenty on pattern control on horns and am just wondering how these strange beast functions considering the mouth determines the pattern. Thanks for the info FlipC

I didnt notice too much on pattern control after skim reading the collaborative horn thread either.

I have heard of a few people online who have long QT syndrome, or arythmia dying from loud bass, but who knows illegal substances couldve been involved too.
Old 16th May 2010, 04:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Pattern control has been mentioned a few times but thus far I have not seen any measurements.

Do you have the possibility to do any?

Hide this!Advertise here!