Mini clone throw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I got to hear my mini clones
outside for the first time.They are at a walk/rally fund raiser for cancer at a local high schools football field. Course couldn't turn them up but was impressed by the throw on them. Set up on one end of the field. I walked to other and it still had presence.

I can only imagine how
JBells big THs sound at whatever football field they are at.

Since there isn't a stack of Lab , WSX or the like anywhere near my area I can not say.

Have heard plenty
of W and other S/C FLH's though and they do. That little mouth is part of the "magic" of a TH.

Rear radiation is minimal.
Highly directional. You can walk around and easily tell this as JBell says. Which is part of the reason I made this thread. I was impressed.
I do wish I could have turned it up and cranked a proper tune (other than pop like Black Eyed Peas etc)

Since I can fit 4 of these in the space
of a single Apache/Furybox, I couldn't imagine 2 banks of 12/16. And think. That is less than 1000 pounds per side!

Guess it is a good think I don't have money
as I would probably kill myself by way of heart stoppage due to too much bass pressure.

Since there isn't a stack of Lab , WSX or the like anywhere near my area I can not say.

Have heard plenty
of W and other S/C FLH's though and they do. That little mouth is part of the "magic" of a TH.

Rear radiation is minimal.
Highly directional. You can walk around and easily tell this as JBell says. Which is part of the reason I made this thread. I was impressed.
I do wish I could have turned it up and cranked a proper tune (other than pop like Black Eyed Peas etc)

Since I can fit 4 of these in the space
of a single Apache/Furybox, I couldn't imagine 2 banks of 12/16. And think. That is less than 1000 pounds per side!

Guess it is a good think I don't have money
as I would probably kill myself by way of heart stoppage due to too much bass pressure.
jbell,its no personal insult, I am interested in learning and have already read about horns,including an ancient version of Olsons Acoustics.

Id like to build some, but I am a student who is broke living in a tiny unit, subwoofers are out of the question. Maybe next year.

I have read plenty on pattern control on horns and am just wondering how these strange beast functions considering the mouth determines the pattern. Thanks for the info FlipC

I didnt notice too much on pattern control after skim reading the collaborative horn thread either.

I have heard of a few people online who have long QT syndrome, or arythmia dying from loud bass, but who knows illegal substances couldve been involved too.

neddludd
Just about 2 months ago or so there was a big story (speakerplans.com) of a college kid dropping dead during a function from just that. Due to genetic heart problems. Scary thing was that the article said this was a common thing in Britain. Which means to much inbreeding!

I do not have a true way to measure radiation pattern.
Seems like you would need a bit of a setup to truly do that. If I get a chance I can take some general SPL level readings all around to compare. Though it will be at least 2 weeks before I get a chance.

salz -
there is a thread here on just that subject. My Mini clone is designed around the B&C 12PS100 but can handle quite a different number of drivers. The new high excursion 12" from Beyma is a beast. Ciare , PD , etc. FS needs to right at or just above cut off. Which means a driver like the Eminence Lab 12 isn't good in it.
It seems you run out of excursion before thermal limiting.
Hornresp is your friend. All praise DMB!

I do not have a true way to measure radiation pattern.
Seems like you would need a bit of a setup to truly do that. If I get a chance I can take some general SPL level readings all around to compare. Though it will be at least 2 weeks before I get a chance.

What I did, is set up an inside pair and an outside pair, use a tape measure to set up an arc 10meters out. Start a 40hz test tone, and take spl reading on center. move spl meter on arc to 45 degree -- see the spl figure drop (wow) Go to the dcx and start dialing in delay on the outside pair, till the on axis and 45 degree off axis are same. Then password protect the dcx. That's how I cover my near side stadium seating.

The fact that I had to do that -- shows the directionality. The measurements -- I didn't keep, so no way to reconstruct a polar plot from a couple years ago. If I get a chance on a warm dry day, that I happen to have subs built, but not yet installed -- I may try to recreate that measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.