Tekton Design "Aperture Technology" Model S12, what's up with this???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasw looking at Tekton Designs website today and came across their S12 subwoofer. Pic attached.

Can anyone give an explaination of what having a sub on an OB placed just in front of another in a sealed box achieves? I am not very well versed in subs and speaker building techno talk (yet) and I am just starting to learn the art of speaker building. With my limited knowledge I cannot see how this arrangement would yield anything special.

If indeed it does do something special, what? can and should it be DIY'ed for any particular reason? I ask for 2 reasons 1) It appears novel and interesting and I don't understand it. 2) I have a attic full of drivers and I was thinking of duplicating one (sorta) just for the sake of doing it and to see if it sounds good (at least my version of it, possibly with some 8" Klipsch subs I have collecting dust)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Jeff

Attachments

• subwoofer.jpg
    subwoofer.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 282
I'm skeptical. I suspect if you disconnect the outer woofer, it'll work just the same. The baffle size is such that the front and rear radiation from the outer sub have to cancel out.

Why not just make an isobaric sub and at least enjoy the benefit of a smaller cabinet? Or put both woofers in a bigger box (or a pair of boxes) and get a lot more bass for the buck?

I'm skeptical. I suspect if you disconnect the outer woofer, it'll work just the same. The baffle size is such that the front and rear radiation from the outer sub have to cancel out.

Why not just make an isobaric sub and at least enjoy the benefit of a smaller cabinet? Or put both woofers in a bigger box (or a pair of boxes) and get a lot more bass for the buck?

A big ditto on that!

Taken from:

Tekton Design S12 Subwoofer Achieving greatness at just a few percentage points of far higher cost models. Review By Rick Becker

"...
The two drivers are wired so they both push and both pull together. There is no compression behind the front driver because the rear driver is sucking the air from behind. The rear driver compresses the air behind it in the acoustic suspension box. Likewise, there is no compression from the rear driver when it pushes forward, because the air in front of it is moving into the void created by the forward moving front driver. Thus, the only effective compression recreating the sound wave comes from the front surface of the front driver. The S12 is essentially an open baffle monopole subwoofer, a patent pending design. The back wave of the front driver is nullified and the music comes from the front of the open baffle. Placing my head behind the front baffle of the speaker I experience a relative musical void, hearing only what is coming around the edge of the front baffle. The advantage of this design is the front driver works with greater transient speed and accuracy without having to deal with the compression on the back wave. The upper end of the subwoofer's range is intentionally rolled off at 24dB/octave.
..."

The best thing in HiFi and High End is to solve problems which are not
existent and let people pay for the belief a big problem has been solved.
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.