Greatest output for space - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Default Greatest output for space

I am thinking about an omi directional sound system (mono) and have a space 0.4x0.4x1.2m to work with for the bass unit. I would like this speaker to cover 30 - 100hz, input is a typicaly going to be very bass heavy party music (dub etc). Therfore quality is secondary to absolute output. I would prefer to minimise needed power input as I have a spare 80+80W amplifier that I would like to use one channel for the sub and one for the main/trebble.

I would like to know what kind of sub designs to look into, my woodworking skill dosen't extend to curves or angled cuts so most horn designs are out. Any ideas?
Old 11th May 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Would you miss the last 20Hz on your specified frequency response? 50Hz can be done extremely loud, but getting down to 30Hz at the same volume means a lot more displacement is needed.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yep lowest note on a bass is 41Hz so I idealy don't want any atenuation of this. If anercoic response -3dB is 30Hz then room gain should extend the response down to 20Hz. I aiming for serious trouser flapping.

having a look around at the ultra low end drivers within the student budget I have found:
http://onecall.farnell.com/pro-signa...-12/dp/3708550
I suspect this is a rebadged skytronic woofer, I would have to mesure it to find its thile small parameters but I think 4 of these in a ported enclosure would be pretty impesive.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:28 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, ~192 L before subtracting out the driver(s), bracing, vent(s) doesn't leave much available space to make high SPL at even 50 Hz with only 80 W on tap.

GM
Old 11th May 2010, 10:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

actualy I think looking at the space again I think 1x0.4x1.2 is the actual maximum size giving 480L. Is that more promising?
Old 11th May 2010, 11:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
actualy I think looking at the space again I think 1x0.4x1.2 is the actual maximum size giving 480L. Is that more promising?
Bigger is better, but big enough? According to Richard Small (the S in T/S), max vented box efficiency in liters for 30 Hz/F3 is: n0 = ~3.9*10^6*30^3*(480/1000) = ~5.054%, then SPL = ~112.018+(10*log10(0.05054)) = ~99.055 dB and adding in 80 W = +(10*log10(80)) = ~118.08 dB/m

Since the max size will be somewhat smaller due to box panel thickness, etc., it will of course be somewhat lower. In a large room where it will be falling with distance it will be mildly entertaining, but hardly 'trouser flapping'.

GM
Old 12th May 2010, 06:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mildly entertaining?
I can't think of many in-house systems that will do that sort of thing.

I'd strongly advise going for something a little more rugged than a hifi replacement driver. Think PA gear. There's much more efficiency on offer, and they're designed to be played loud for some time.

What SPL are you looking for?
You'll need something of high efficiency to go half-serious (120dB) with 80W.
I would expect that a single (or two) 18" drivers would easily out perform the 12" woofers you linked to.

Chris
Old 12th May 2010, 03:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

What does what most folks have in the way of a sound system have to do with this thread?

For bass heavy music, it takes a very small room with lots of room gain (~ +18 dB IIRC) to get the kind of visceral 'entertainment' the OP wants at 30 Hz that ~115 dB/m can be at >100 Hz.

I agree that if only one driver is used that it needs to be a good quality ($$) prosound unit, but as efficiency rises with increasing number of drivers it becomes less critical when the amp's rated power is ~on a par with the driver's continuous rating, so it boils down to how many inexpensive drivers can be had within both the financial and size constraints.

Anyway, unless the OP has enough room gain to make up for his lack of available speaker space, then what driver(s) he uses is moot at least for now.

GM
Old 12th May 2010, 04:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
What does what most folks have in the way of a sound system have to do with this thread?
I'm not sure. Probably a lapse in concentration.

Anyway, I think we need to know the target SPL, and financial constraints before we can go any further.

Chris
Old 12th May 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Plate amps up to several hundred watts are incredibly cheap; IMO, that would be what I'd look in to

Hide this!Advertise here!