TH wall & corner loaded output gain ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I did some by ear wall loading test
(using the Apache 15's) and it seems that I wasn't getting any gain from the wall loading. I did a show Saturday night where the subs had to be off to one side. I wall loaded there (4x1) and it seemed to be lacking to I reversed them which gave a better output.

Now 2 things.
The storage area has an 8 foot ceiling with normal ceiling tiles with no insulation above them. The room Saturday had an over hang of about 3 feet. Not sure if either of these 2 factors would cause such a discrepancy OR if the TH's are acting more like reflex cabs?

JBell , djk, tb46, littlemike, etc.
Can you all do some corner and wall loading test and post the results?
I will be doing some measured test soon as it quits raining (roof leak).

I have 4 25hz tapped horns in my bedroom. I was fartin around one day changing the orientation of the front 2 by moving them closer to the middle of the room with the mouth firing at the listening position and then moving them to the corners firing the mouths at the wall, my increase was about 1-2 db down around the 25hz. I cant find my stinkin graphs or I would post them.

Oh - I saw this thread. I have been thinking....:D

I have been trying to figure out how I can do this and actually accomplish something meaningful, rather than just show how ugly the bass response is in my listening room. I get about +8 dB in my "corner", which should tell you something about the room and the construction of the house......

I have a small TH that I might be able to use for testing, I just need to find a real wall and corner I can test with. Walls are easy, actual corners are a lot harder. The biggest problem I see with this is that most of the corners in the real world come with rooms attached, and room issues will usually overshadow the boundary reinforcement.

Tx for the replies.
GM - what size THz were yours with?

So I have wall loaded my Mini clones
before with devastating effects. 2 wall loaded was getting me above 135 Db at 50 Hz. But this paste time I swear I was canceling out the higher end on the Apache's. They run 35Hz-120hz. (Might be 110hz I cant recall right now exactly what I have that set at) Anyway I didn't have time to really check so it was only by ear.

Guess it is time to do some testing
and see if A- I had them to close or to far away and B - how much gain am I getting and where.

No THs, but similar 'BIB' pipe horns (TH's without the tap), FLHs, sealed, reflex alignments, even dipoles and from a few ft^3 to 30 ft^3 in size. Apparently, the average middle class home construction down here in the South has historically been lossy enough to act as a relatively high high-pass filter as I don't see the theoretical +9 dB until above 200 Hz.

The homes of the upper middle/wealthy class are of course much better built, but I've never measured them, only seen a few measurements that show 6+ dB down to 20 Hz and some even lower. Measurements I've seen of homes in the Great White North OTOH typically are much higher than I've measured if the corner has at least one outside wall.

I learned the hard, expensive way that my home's construction is too compromised for me to enjoy a sub system at the ~live SPLs some folks on the DTS10 thread are getting and AFAIK I'll never have the funds to either sufficiently beef it up or move to a better constructed one, so going ultra-low at any entertaining SPL is not in the cards for me. All things considered then, a ceiling IB of modest output to cover the < ~40 Hz BW with horns the rest of the way up is my plan if I'm able to eventually build up another high SQ HIFI/HT system.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.