Help me have fun with 8 MCM 8's on a subwoofer design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2010, 02:14 AM   #1
justint is offline justint  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking Help me have fun with 8 MCM 8's on a subwoofer design

I have 8 of the MCM 8" high excursion woofers laying around and I am looking for a loud and low interesting looking design using at least 4 of the woofers.. ideal performance of the box would be extension down to 30-35hz with 120+ db if that is feasible.. after that give me something fun to test my wood working skills... Just got a new table saw and I am feeling ambitious!!!
Old 10th May 2010, 06:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

what are the specs? 800litres ambitious? You may have enough displacement for open baffle ie less coloured sound with a slow roll off which is meant to sound better.
Old 10th May 2010, 02:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

that might be to large for me.. probobly 600 liters or less would work fine.
Old 10th May 2010, 02:44 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

So, what did you decide to do with the Kicker? need loud and low TH design help :)

GM
Old 10th May 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have finished the 10" kicker Fury box recuting of the plate and am currently hitting a range from 130db@40hz down to 124@65hz back up to 130@100 hz.. and I haven't had a chance to load the box into the corner behind my tv yet.. Combined with the JBL eon 15's I have running my ears are still ringing from this weekend so I am satisfied.. with that.. I have one kicker CVT left which I am going to keep as a spare for my boat TH that you can look at on the other post and just these 8 8's laying around that I gotta figure something to do with.
Old 10th May 2010, 05:44 PM   #6
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a thread to digest...
Dual MCM FLH

Dual mcm's in series (to keep from blowing them up) is a good idea, and gets a reasonable sized box. Lots of possibilities -- from as small as possible (50liter) tapped, to 300liter front loaded horn.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justint View Post
I have finished the 10" kicker Fury box recuting of the plate and am currently hitting a range from 130db@40hz down to 124@65hz back up to 130@100 hz.. and I haven't had a chance to load the box into the corner behind my tv yet.. Combined with the JBL eon 15's I have running my ears are still ringing from this weekend so I am satisfied.. with that.. I have one kicker CVT left which I am going to keep as a spare for my boat TH that you can look at on the other post and just these 8 8's laying around that I gotta figure something to do with.
lol your ears shouldnt be ringing! I find distortion in the midrange appears to make ringing worse too.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Usually by bar close as long as nothing blows clarity is not a huge concern haha
Old 14th May 2010, 03:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Use a bigger box so the Q in box is about .5 and then use bass boost to flatten. A high pass filter at like 35Hz with a Q of 1.5-2 would be good. This keeps out of band signals at bay and flattens the response electronically rather than peaking up the mechanical system of the driver. Good luck!
Old 14th May 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justint View Post
Usually by bar close as long as nothing blows clarity is not a huge concern haha
I used to deafen myself with a martin-audio system in a bar I used to frequent many times. The 18" 1kw WSX horn subs were great, eventually about 4am the mids would get turned up too high though as peoples ears adjusted to the loudness!

Whatabout 2x8" sealed boxes. I prefer smaller portable multiples, harman have some audio whitepapers on room response and multiple subs.

Hide this!Advertise here!