Bose subwoofers/waveguide technology - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bose subwoofers/waveguide technology

Looking at compact horns etc and wondered what system Bose use in their Bass enclosures- is it a type of horn/transmission line system? I am guessing its one-eighth wavelength but might be completely wrong.
Old 9th May 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Searching will find it - I think it's a small-multiple wavelength with the driver some 1/4 way along it.
Old 9th May 2010, 09:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

googled some more- when Bose did the proto they basically fitted a 2 metre length folded system into a tiny box. So must be quarter wave length tuned for around 40 hz or so
Old 10th May 2010, 05:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

something to note is that you dont see people DIYing these. I would instead start from a required cutoff,SPL and volume of enclosure. Then proceed to driver availability.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Looking at compact horns etc and wondered what system Bose use in their Bass enclosures
It varies.

Many Bose LF systems are bandpass. This goes both for pro and "lifestyle" systems. These are usually tuned for maximum efficiency and do not go very low or very wide bandwidth, so they usually play a good one or two note bass.

The "wavecannon" was/is basically a quarterwave pipe with the driver near 1/3rd of the pipe (so there are actually three resonances) without damping, so plays a lovely three-note bass.

The waveradio uses a variation of the wavecannon, but it has zip low frequency output that I could detect, based on what I heard not even 100Hz. Well, it is a very small thing and you cannot cheat physics. What little upper bass was there was again very "a few notes".

With all due respect, the only thing IMNSHO that one can learn from Bose LF systems is how not to do it...

Ciao T
Old 10th May 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

You can learn what good marketing can make out of bad products
Old 10th May 2010, 02:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice aesthetics and maxing the most out of cheap components- clever people I'd say.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bose uses an 8th order bandpass for most of their small subs. Very tricky to get right, but it can extract a lot of output from very modest drives.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post
Bose uses an 8th order bandpass for most of their small subs. Very tricky to get right, but it can extract a lot of output from very modest drives.
I remember reading Weems, perhaps it was this one Designing, building, and testing ... - Google Books Where he discussed how the higher the order of rolloff the lower the perceived quality of the sound. It may have been another book though its been 6years since I read it. Also interesting articles on panel resonance and FEA
Old 12th May 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Seems to me that the cheapest way to get deep controlled bass from a small enclosure is the aperoidic route. A large driver in a compact 'leaky' box..

Hide this!Advertise here!