diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Please recommend a 10" subwoofer (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/166243-please-recommend-10-subwoofer.html)

okmat 3rd May 2010 06:52 PM

Please recommend a 10" subwoofer

I'm going to build my first subwoofer and I thinks a 10" driver and the 240W plate amp from parts express should be more than enough form my small room (about 12 x 18 ft)...

I have read that the peerless subwoofers are great, but I also have the impression (maybe a wrong one) that aluminum drivers like dayton RS have thighter sound, is this true at all??

The goal is to get the cleanest and most well defined bass possible. The sub would be focused for music listening at a moderate volume level and I would like to start with a sealed box.

The candidate drivers:

Dayton RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF

Peerless 830452 10" XLS

Parts express' plate amp

240 Watts plate amp with boost

or, would the titanic kit be a better option?

Titanic MKIII subwoofer kit

Thanks for any advise

sumaudioguy 6th May 2010 10:25 PM

That peerless is the one in a very solid sealed box. 240 watts is way more than enough power but the bass boost is a really handy feature and actually needed. Half that much power would be fine.

Good luck- SUM

tinitus 7th May 2010 01:12 AM

Living in EU, wouldnt it be money wasted to buy from PE
Dutch BMM electronics may have what you want

anyway, I dont think you have chosen the right Peerless model, with its exstremely low Qts it will be exstremely "tight", or maybe even no or little sub output
Peerless seem to have newer and better models
Dayton looks good too, but appears to have highish Fs

Theres also a Seas L26ROY with thicker poleplate, but similar specs and price

And theres this kit option, now you mention the Titanic kit
Probably doesnt get much better
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1200ci.html

infinia 7th May 2010 01:41 AM

Another approach is using two 10" or 12" subs in separate enclosures, using drivers not as costly but still high quality. This gives more flexibility as to amplifiers and placement. Peerless XLS drivers really need a passive radiator for best implementation, so don't forget to include them in cost trade-offs. Bass is all about moving air volume (# Drivers times Sd times Xm) in a linear way! Depending on the room, slopes, f-3 35-40 Hz is plenty low.
example 830668 - Peerless SLS-263 coated paper cone 39 mm voice coil AL shorting ring in magnet system - Europe Audio

sumaudioguy 7th May 2010 04:46 AM

That low Qts is all good. That means lower output impedance which means more predictable response in a room. Take that and add bass boost to flatten it out and like magic, clear punchy bass with very distinct notes and harmonics. In my experience this is by far the best way to get bass that is clean and natural. Using the resonance of the driver to "peak up" the response is like using a bell to "peak up" the response. Know it is very popular and still it is very wrong. Doing something wrong for a long time does not change it to right. The lower the Q in the cabinet the better and use electronic equalization to flatten it out. The PE plate amp has the right filter with adjustable Q and frequency so it can be adjusted to match the peerless just fine. It will be wonderful when complete IF the cabinet is made very solid. I have blown apart a lot of cabinets that were not good enought. Just how good is it? Almost as good as it gets at any price.

ruferto 7th May 2010 04:56 PM

I have bought 1 peerless xls10 cheap on ebay and now i am cheking on the forum what to do with him. i was thinking of sealed enclousure but i think i am going to do ported with one cerwing vega amp. + crossover .
Ported subs are good for music ? ? ? ?

sumaudioguy 7th May 2010 05:23 PM

Do you like notes in the bass? If the answer is yes then I suggest a sealed box, with electronic EQ if possible. Do you like big fat round sound with lots of rumbling down low which is good for special effects? Then a port is the choice.

Notes or no notes, that is the question. ;) -SUM

okmat 7th May 2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumaudioguy (Post 2178558)
That low Qts is all good. That means lower output impedance which means more predictable response in a room. Take that and add bass boost to flatten it out and like magic, clear punchy bass with very distinct notes and harmonics. In my experience this is by far the best way to get bass that is clean and natural. Using the resonance of the driver to "peak up" the response is like using a bell to "peak up" the response. Know it is very popular and still it is very wrong. Doing something wrong for a long time does not change it to right. The lower the Q in the cabinet the better and use electronic equalization to flatten it out. The PE plate amp has the right filter with adjustable Q and frequency so it can be adjusted to match the peerless just fine. It will be wonderful when complete IF the cabinet is made very solid. I have blown apart a lot of cabinets that were not good enought. Just how good is it? Almost as good as it gets at any price.

Yes, I was thinking of applying a Likwitz transform and that's why I choose a driver with high Xmax, low distortion, and an amp with spare power... now, with the boost included in the parts express' amp I guess the LT circuit could be omitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinitus
... anyway, I dont think you have chosen the right Peerless model, with its exstremely low Qts it will be exstremely "tight", or maybe even no or little sub output
Peerless seem to have newer and better models...

There's an aluminum Peerless 835016 subwoofer with higher Qts (0.32) than the 830452 nomex (QTS=0.17), and the Fs of the aluminum is only a bit higher (22.5 vs 19 Hz).

Is the 835016 subwoofer better suited for a sealed box?

In your experience, will an aluminum cone add clarity to the bass?

ruferto 7th May 2010 05:49 PM

Do you like notes in the bass?

Yes, the group delay should be as low as possible, is it ?

when i simulate sealed+EQ. vs ported the group delay of the sealed is greater than ported.

NS

Colin 7th May 2010 06:13 PM

If in the EU, have a look at

Home Page for quality UK manufactured subwoofers and sub bass systems

where they have a number of plate amps, a couple of which do bass boost. They also have a page on eBay

nkw armrs 1 from ipg 25 items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

where they sell drivers, including Peerless. Here's an associated site which has offers on Peerless from time to time

colosussxb, Business, Office Industrial, Consumer Electronics items at low prices on eBay.co.uk