what is the down side to 1box both ported & sealed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to build a new sub

I am looking at is the exdusaudio shiva-X2 . in the applications for the driver it has a sealed & ported box both 70lt .

I was wondering what is the down side to making the ported box for h/t then sealing up the port for listening to music . or is it alright to do this ? thanks

Usually the right volume for a closed box is to small for a BR box and leads to impractical sizes for the BR tube. The right volume for a BR box is usually too big for a closed box resulting in too low Q and weak bass. A volume in between will result in suboptimal performance for both setups.

If you decide for the volume the BR box needs, you could apply a Linkwitz transform when you close the port to get the best of both worlds.

It's gonna be hart to tune it low enough to not get boom in room with that size box and still keep the port under 1m. If you make the port smaller to shorten it then you won't get much output before it chokes.

I can't seem to get an advantage with the ported box over sealed.
Maximum output level is around 3dB above sealed, and below 24Hz sealed wins. Mainly due to small port. But 100cm2 already has 60cm of length at 20Hz tuning. Tune it higher and you get a big hump.

Not sure you need LT when sealed. Maybe around 5dB boost at 20Hz to get it flat in room.
But it depends on room and what you want.

I am looking to build a new sub

I am looking at is the exdusaudio shiva-X2 . in the applications for the driver it has a sealed & ported box both 70lt .

I was wondering what is the down side to making the ported box for h/t then sealing up the port for listening to music . or is it alright to do this ? thanks
Why bother? There is so little music with output around the 25Hz tune of the ported 70L box that it will likely make zero difference when listening to music. No need to plug it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.