Need info on Lambda Acoustics 12"sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need info on Lambda Acoustics 12"sub

I'm trying to find some info on a Lambda Acoustics (sub-woofer) speaker. The model # is LE-LF12-8. It's for a car audio system and it's 8 ohm. What I need to know is the size and type box it'll perform best in and power requirements/limits/specs.
I would apreciate any advice as to where, and/or, whom to ask, if you know of any.
Thanks for any help!
Ricky (new here)
Old 28th April 2010, 06:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the forums.

I'll say now that I know nothing of the driver of which you speak. However, there's a few things I noticed: the first is the 8ohm impedance. This seems high for car audio gear. I'll also guess that a reasonably-sized sealed box is usually better for car audio, because the cabin of the car offers a gain of 12decibels/octave - the same rate of the roll-off of sealed boxes. The upshot of this is a frequency response that's fairly smooth all the way down. With ported designs, you'll get a peak and then steep roll-off, resulting in the one-note boom that's common in my area.

Anyway, all this talk of speakers might be daunting, so I've listed a few links that will help you out.

Chris

Elliott Sound Products - DIY Audio Articles - if you're stuck on something, chances are it's mentioned here
Passive Crossover Networks - good explanation of crossovers. There's a calculator on there, too.
Home (amateur audio) - some good stuff here.
Old 29th April 2010, 05:34 AM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, you really should measure them, but seems I read a blurb awhile back that Lambda's Nick McKinney has come out of retirement and working with/for? Acoustic Elegance, so try here: Acoustic Elegance • Index page

GM
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What would you call a "reasonably-sized sealed box"? I saw one on a website that's 1.25cuft. Does that sound OK?

Sorry for the elementary questions. I'm a keyboard player that knows just enough about sound and speakers to be dangerous!

Thanks, Ricky
Old 2nd May 2010, 05:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Don't worry about questions that seem daft. It's better you ask for guidance than how to fix something you've messed up.

I'd probably suggest bigger than 1.25cuft, but at the same time, with a smaller box, it will handle more power because the air in the box acts as a spring. The smaller the box, the more the air particles get pushed together, the more force they push back with. The upshot of this is that the cone doesn't move as much.

I'd say 2cuft would be a good place to start. Make it out of 18mm MDF (or ply). Also, you'll need to add cabinet bracing. The idea of this is to stop the panels vibrating, thus contributing to the sound. When they get going, it sounds really awful, so bracing is a must. Even a few pieces of 3"x2" will do.

Gotta go - food's out.
Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!