Combined Alignment Subwoofer System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2010, 03:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Combined Alignment Subwoofer System

I am planning 2 build a pair of subwoofers for my PC speaker system. I am thinking of using combined vented system [maximally flat(QB3) and extended Bass system (EBS -3dB)]. This sub will be used in a medium sized room. Driver size i will choose maybe 8 inch for QB3 and 10 inch for EBS -3dB. The drivers will share a single box but different chamber (separate QB3 and EBS chamber).

Will this design (combining EBS and QB3) give any advantage to Bass response other than extended bass? Or i should go for a simple pair of QB3 or EBS -3 alignment? thanks?
Old 28th April 2010, 02:04 PM   #2
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not sure about the exact question you asked but one thing I noticed when I did subs for my PC system was that when I had the subs next to my desk, I could barely hear them but my wife in the other room always complained that the subs were turned up too high. So, I moved the subs away from me to the back of the room and I could then hear and feel them working without turning them up so high.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you want max flat vented you will need a driver with a free air Qt of .383 or very slightly less. Make sure the vent is at least one third the area of the driver.

MCM Electronics has an 8 inch true woofer pretty cheap and works well for such a small woofer in a sealed box.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Mixing the alignments wont give you a bonus, you simply get the mean value of both responses as the final response.
Old 29th April 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Modeled output of your suggestion

Sealed box is 40 Hz and ported box is 34Hz both butterworth. Scale is 10-200Hz 10dB. 6dB was removed from the total output to normalize to 0dB. Looks like the pair is no better than the seal 40Hz one by itself with slightly better phase response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DUALWOOF.jpg (76.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 1st May 2010, 09:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have heard of dual Vent system, where both the ports are tuned to different frequencies to get the required curve. I guess this might suffice your need. check on google if you find more information on this.

Hide this!Advertise here!