18sound 18lw1400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have more information on what, more or less exactly, you're looking for? Like how low does it need to go, what do you use on top, how large can it be, how much power do you have for it, style of music could give a hint also.

The 18LW1400 is pretty allround due to it's parameters, so a lot is possible.

Best regards Johan

Well the type of music is reggae and I'm using the crown xti 2000 bridged. The cabinet on the website doesn't seem to give a good thumb. The sound seem to deminsh when u step away from it.
What design are you talking about exactly?

If it's either the front loaded design (basreflex) or the double manifold/band pass, make sure the speakers are "in phase" . When they're not in phase, the sound deminishes very fast as you describe, you can check this by reversing the polarity of one of the speakers, if the bass reduces in strenght after you've done this, they were in phase, if the bass gets more powerfull they were out of phase.
Also the 18LW1400 needs quite a bit of power to get going, don't give up on it too soon.

What crossover frequency do you use between the subs and tops? There are more power full yet quite compact designs out there but these generally need a crossover between 80 and 100 Hz, to sound their best.

Best regards Johan

Netto 150 liter BR tuned to 35hz with 4 ports, ø10cm x 400mm long, -3db at 40hz

Your crown xti should have dsp, and you could give it a low cut high pass filter, if you want it really loud

Thats going to be about (165lt) the size of my 4 x BR subs (when I get them built). I'm using the new Peavey Low Rider 18"s (cheap). Should be nice and compact for moving around. I don't play much reggae though.

All most all the sound systems here in Melbourne that are playing reggae, dub, and dubstep are all using 18" scoop bins. Usually, a minimum of 3 in mono. It's the only way to get the efficiency for the HUGE bass waves required. scoops are not much good with other kinds of music as they have bad group delay, but for reggae, dub, etc.. it doesn't matter (much).

Using 2 x BR won't cut the mustard, unless your in a small venue.

col.

Reggae.... easy, scoop bins. Look on speakerplans.com.

col.
In the case of speakerplans case (for reference) here is one project with it...
Speakerplans.com
Modified 186 horn build pics - more added 10/06/09 - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Output pic: Originally posted by Wrighty
Another interesting ex
Meyer Sound PSW-6: High-Power Cardioid Subwoofer
Meyer Sound 650-P : High-Power Subwoofer
djwutless, you don't mention the rest of your setup (maindrivers). Do you need a Horn? Do you have space and construction constrictions/problems, that you prefer a BR? (or closed box). Do you need extension in the bass region or do you need power output.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.