Single Cab truck box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for ideas on a box/sub combo that will work well in a single cab truck. It's a 95 F250. Currently I'm running 4 TangBand W6-1139SI subs in series parallel for a 4 ohm load into a Walmart "760" watt Pioneer amp. It's done fine for the time being, but as I'm nearing the end of a unexpected "restoration" (put the truck in the ditch over the winter), I'm looking to upgrade the sound system a bit past the stock speakers and crappy sub box stage.

What I'm looking for is more output (who isn't?) without breaking the bank. I'm not too caught up on overall efficiency although I don't think you can get a whole lot worse than these Tang Bands, and I want to keep a good strong low end. I listen mostly to rock, and I despise rap, so I do NOT want a system tuned to 50 Hz just for the loudest single note possible.

I've been contemplating buying either another 2 or 4 more tang bands (depending on what I can get to fit width-wise across my truck) and getting a bigger amp to just brute force my way into more output from a sealed enclosure. Simple. Tested. Forgiving in installation. However I've been quite intrigued by tapped horns and what can be done with them with some unsuspecting drivers, but I don't have the required skill to figure out if I could cram a tapped horn into a triangle wedge behind a single cab truck's bench seat with only 7-1/2" of clearance at the bottom edge.

I guess what I'm really looking for is suggestions on what people have been able to do in small spaces. I'm on a fairly tight budget (in college and paying for the fixing of the truck itself) but will invest in new gear if that's what it takes, but I would like to make sure that what I have just isn't capable of doing what I want before I move on. Are more subs and a sealed box the best solution? I've pretty much passed over ported because of the ridiculous port velocities I get from anything I think would fit. Any design can take up the entire area behind the seat from side to side, but cannot rely on any area beneath the seat (where the amps will be going).

Thanks.

Those little tang bands are great drivers, just put them in a better cabinet.

They work very well in a tapped horn, which can be made to sit behind the seat lying across the back of the cab.

I have a 79 F-250, I'll probably use something similar in mine.

Volvotreter's single-fold tapped horn is a great starting point.

Don't hold me to anything certain as I'm 120 miles away from my truck right now, but I would guess the bottom can be around 7-1/2" deep, top coming to a point (1" thick) around 24" above the base, and the box could be close to 6' wide: again just an estimate. I'm planning on upgrading the amp. While I will probably have to use the Pioneer for a period due to limited funds, I do plan on using a larger amp.

I had 4 soundstream 10" subs in a aperiodic enclosure created by creating a tight-fitting, sloping piece of MDF behind the seat of a Silverado.
The enclosure was pretty small but produced great tight bass. I found it more musical than most of the other enclosures I'd built/heard.

I'd do it again, but I'd put dynamat on the inside of the back of the cab. From the outside it rang pretty bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.