Any design suggestions for Aurasound NS10-513-4A ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of finishing a quad of 36hz TH for the 6.5" tang band drivers and am now trying to come up with an interesting design for a pair of Aurasound NS10-513 4 ohm drivers that I have laying around. Looking for something fun and different , trying to stay away from the typical ported enclosure. I've modeled them in a 4th order BP and want to see what else they might work in. Any suggestions ?

Thanks all, Daniel.

Any suggestions ?

Hi Daniel,

Here’s a suggestion if folded more than once would be very compact and at sane SPL would challenge your TH: s SQ-wise and have a constant ‘sound’ impression for all power levels the speaker can handle.

Aluminium cone drivers are known for to have best piston behaviour at low frequencies (below 1kHz), and a low storage of delayed energy especially if of a high Qm type (IME) and if resembles a high quality built driver, like the Aurasound NS10-513-4A.

Its a good choice when using the driver in a small mouth T-TQWT provided you do not deviate from the section lengths and CSA: s given in the simulation I’ve submitted.

You must make allowances for the driver occupied volumes, both in front of the driver as well for the larger rear side volume too.

Don’t worry about the small mouth or the high compression; (4.44:1), the sub will not sound at all like a common reflex-box equipped with a 4-inch port tube.

The port resonances, if any exists, is dependent of the air mass confined in the port area times the thickness of the wood (3/4”?), or of a very short section length = L34 + the end correction for both sides.

The resonances would stay well above 1 kHz and the mouth air velocity ratio would be below Mach 0.03 at max input power.

I prefer to close the ordinary S4 area by moving the mouth (made circular or extruded circular max 3:1 with the cut-out edges chamfered and sanded smoothly for lowest turbulence) centred with the front of the driver.

A couple of Hz at the FR low end may be lost but is easily gained back again when the speaker is moved more towards a room corner.

b

Attachments

• NS10-513-4A_T-TQWT.GIF
    NS10-513-4A_T-TQWT.GIF
    174.1 KB · Views: 222
Help

Bjorno, thanks for running the sim. Assuming I can get it simplified to box dimensions i can make sense of it may be a good option. My Hornsrep kung-fu is weak and I'm struggling to match your simulation. Im gonna work with it some more and see if i can figure it all out. Is there a picture of an example somewhere that might help me visualize what a finished TQWT will look like ?

Regards, Daniel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.