diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   Need drivers for some dual 18 cabinets (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/165254-need-drivers-some-dual-18-cabinets.html)

droberts 17th April 2010 03:13 AM

Need drivers for some dual 18 cabinets

I bought a couple of dual 18" cabinets that measure 5 feet wide x 28" high and 22" deep . They are lined with asbestos , and made out of some type of plywood about 3/4 " thick . There are also 2 6" circular vents or horns ? underneath the 18" gaps. Could anybody recommend some 18" drivers that would work well for these cabs . These will be used for DJ PA , and should be able to deliver some nice mid bass . They will be used outdoors as well as in doors and probably accompanied by some folded horns and/or a JBL 728. Will the 2258's or 68's work in this cab ? Being as how I'm looking at one of each , could you put one of each in a cab like this ?

I am running QSC 2450's and one plx 3002 . I am looking into getting a 5050 as well though . Any comments well appreciated . thanks in advance

Xoc1 17th April 2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

They are lined with asbestos
:eek:
I hope for your sake that this is not true.
Using asbestos in a ported speaker cabinet would be unthinkable.
If it is true then seal them up immediately and treat them as hazardous waste for your's and everybody elses sake.
Mesothelioma is a very distressing disease.:dead:

droberts 18th April 2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoc1 (Post 2156791)
:eek:
I hope for your sake that this is not true.
Using asbestos in a ported speaker cabinet would be unthinkable.
If it is true then seal them up immediately and treat them as hazardous waste for your's and everybody elses sake.
Mesothelioma is a very distressing disease.:dead:

that's all you got for me ? thanx . So should I go back to the guy that sold them to me . I gave him $100 or should I try to take the stuff out ? I think its asbestos I don't really know if I've ever seen asbestos . Maybe I'll take a picture .....

Cal Weldon 18th April 2010 03:54 AM

If it is, step away from the cabinets. You need to know nothing more about whether they are good for woofers or not. Snap a pic. Let's hope you're wrong.

droberts 18th April 2010 11:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 2157601)
If it is, step away from the cabinets. You need to know nothing more about whether they are good for woofers or not. Snap a pic. Let's hope you're wrong.

Cal Weldon 18th April 2010 11:51 PM

Doesn't look like asbestos to me. Looks like common organic felt with the yellowy pink stuff being fiberglass.

mulletdude 19th April 2010 12:18 AM

droberts if your doing DJ PA i woul reccomend you shop around for 15's for your system in stead of 18's because when your moving your 18's during the winter to a gig you have to let them warm up for a while before playing them because you risk popping the cones right out. corrrect me if it sounds wrong cal. A friend of mine ( a dj for over 30 years told me) so im not sure whether or not to believe him about it. the 15's would be alot more forgiving. and as ive read on here alt 15's usually have tighter sounding bass.

Cal Weldon 19th April 2010 12:25 AM

Haven't heard that before. As far as "tighter" bass I think that is a result of the driver as a whole and not necessarily to do with it's size.

mulletdude 19th April 2010 12:28 AM

OK well the reason i have hear the 15's being tighter is the lower overall moving mass of the cone. it would take less power to give the same bass and the cone would move faster (more desireable in DJing) Also Cal ive been thinking of posting up my DJ rig on here, its all bought stuff nothing DIY'ed yet. where would you reccomend i post it?

droberts 19th April 2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 2158446)
Doesn't look like asbestos to me. Looks like common organic felt with the yellowy stuff being fiberglass.

looks like I need an asbestos recognition refreshers course ... Is that the final word ?