Per and Par

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:DHey everybody,glad to finally have something to ask. I recently modeled two subs, RCF LF18x400 and a Peavey 18" Low Rider. I use an online calculator called Ishtek. Two of the summary parameters are Par and Per, I take it from other sources that Par is the actual acoustic level (in watts) coming from the speaker?? And Per is the wattage that it takes to get that level??? Is this correct, or close to?
Only reason i ask is that the RCF's Par is 6.5 watts and the Peavey's is 11.6 watts, respectivly the Per's are 227 watts and 450 w?
Does this mean if I dump 456 watts into the RCF the Par will double too? Do these two terms have any real bearing in designing,or not?
Thanks for any input.

per and par

Thanks Soho, I didn't see that there:rolleyes: So if I put more power than Per into the specified enclosure than I will exceed the displacement limited power handling's xmax and will only see more distortion and perhaps mechanical damage....so the thermal handling far exceeds the mechanical ability???? Seems like a waste of a driver:mad: I guess the Peavey with its higher Per and Par would be a wiser choice for a driver then ,given that I want to have a 7 cu.ft box. I would still like to know if these are truly relevent parameters even though I will probably be going to another program?? Thanks again for the help:D

PAR is the peak acoustic power that may be produced at the speaker displacement limit (Xmax)

PER is the electrical power to produce PAR (note, this can be greater or smaller than the speakers thermal capability

ISHTEK Speaker Design
Bottom of page. ;)
Yes, but it calculates PER from the efficiency you type in, so it's guess is only as good as yours.
Decent software should be able to calculate the efficiency (and display the frequency response etc)
... I will probably be going to another program...
Yee-ha! Now you're getting somewhere.:D
(Thanks for links, Soho)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.