Dual opposing drivers cancellation issues?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning on building a subwoofer in the near future, likely with 2 Mach 5 IXL 18" woofers in a sealed enclosure. I have an old 3'x2'x2' .75 inch thick MDF enclosure that I plan to recycle. Basically I want to put each driver on opposite sides of the enclosure, NOT isobarik.

Can anyone think of any problems with the drivers mounted back to back on opposite sides of the enclosure?

The highest frequency it would be playing is around 100hz, which with a wavelength of 11.28 feet seems like I shouldnt have any phase cancellation issues (obviously I will have the polarity on each speaker opposite another) will I? It will only be about 1/5 wavelength difference between the two drivers at 100hz? If that is correct, how much cancellation would I get at that frequency in decibels?

If you mean say a square enclosure with the drivers firing out of two opposite sides. With magnet structures pointing towards each other in the enclosure it's the same as having them on the same side.

You get zero phase issues, +3dB, and less vibration. Wire the drivers in phase, not out of polarity.

I attached a (not to scale) example of what I want to do. You are saying that the two drivers would need to be wired with the same polarity if hooked up that way? I dont think I understand why that is, I would assume that since they are facing opposite directions, the polarity would have to be switched on one. :confused:

Attachments

• subwoofer.jpg
    subwoofer.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 556
One idea whould be to mount one driver with the magnet sticking out and wiring it in antiphase. Acoustically they are in phase but mechanically they are out of phase.
That reduces K2 distortion by a factor of 3 because unlinearities in the suspension cancel.
i have measured that effect on an open baffle but it should work in a closed cabinet too.
Mechanical vibration also cancels. See my origigal Audio Physic Avanti for an example of the topology you plan and look at the Orion from Siegfried Linkwitz ( Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design) for the distortion canceling arangement in an H dipole.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mounting the woofers this way (or inverting one mecahnically as Joachim suggests) is a very good idea. I do it whenever possible. The better you can get the mechanical coupling between the drivers, the more active vibration cancellation you will achieve.

2 18" in a sealed 3/4" enclosure could well suffer from ballooning thou. Hope it is well braced.

dave

dave

Jochim is right-

If drivers are mounted on opposite side then there are a lot of issues. Can the woof be in a corner? How about 2 15s on the same side instead? On opposite side the crossover effects get pretty muddy. Yes it makes bass but will it match into the next higher frequency driver? Tough question.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jochim is right- If drivers are mounted on opposite side then there are a lot of issues.

I don't read that in Jochim's post. There are big advantages to mounting woofers in pairs push-push. Done right the active vibration cancelation can make big improvements in the reduction of energy reaching the box walls.

At the frequencies involved, the drivers radiate omnidirectionally, it makes no difference from that POV which direction they face.

Jochim suggests taking it a step further and mechanically inverting 1 driver to also cancel suspension non-linearities. This makes it harder to achieve really tight mechanical coupling and leaves the issue of the back of a basket sticking out (and the magnet and maybe an ugly vented polepiece). If your driver is really good (ie symmetrical suspension) this last step gives you little (Nick @ Llambda asserted you would gain nothing with his drivers)

If possible i'll always use 2 smaller drivers push-push instead of a larger single driver for bass.

dave

Yes, mechanical connection of inverted drivers is not easy ( Kef did that with a metal tube in the old days) and dstortion of the suspension is low in a closed cabinet anyway because they work on an "air spring" that is more linear then a mechanical suspension.
I tested that with my Klippel Laser Analyser and it is true.
So go for the simple Push-Push version like i call it.
Yes planet 10, two small drivers are faster then one big one but the parameters can make trouble to get deep bass. One solution is the Linkwitz transformer that allows wide choice of synthetic parameters.

I was just pointing out the most usual case where the driver with dust cap wont meet various specs without the pole vent unobstructed.

In reality the pressure force on the cabinet walls will be much higher than what escapes the baskets under balanced drive even if you used a block of wood or a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe with a few holes drilled in it. Especially if you're dealing with flimsy basket to begin with. I've construction glued the latter between driver motors once in a while and it works as well as it is easy. It's fun to experiment with preloads.

One problem with mounting drivers on opposed faces of a cabinet intending to get force cancellation is it works best if acoustic load is balanced as well.

Last edited:
I don't read that in Jochim's post. There are big advantages to mounting woofers in pairs push-push. Done right the active vibration cancelation can make big improvements in the reduction of energy reaching the box walls.

At the frequencies involved, the drivers radiate omnidirectionally, it makes no difference from that POV which direction they face.

Jochim suggests taking it a step further and mechanically inverting 1 driver to also cancel suspension non-linearities.

<snip>

dave

Just got a different meaning from that post that is all. Two drivers on opposite sides if only bass is being produced is no big deal. The real issues seem to come from trying to cross that over with a higher frequency driver. If the crossover is like 50Hz then again no big deal. With -12dB/ octave at 100Hz there is at least 1 octave of important overlap which is 200Hz. At 200Hz 18 inches becomes a really big deal.

My boofers in recycled cabinets- 3%THD at 3OHz and 100dB one meter

Attachments

• BOOFERS.jpg
    BOOFERS.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 329
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.