Newb - Effects of Vb on enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys im a brand new member and have recently really gotten into elclosure design. focusing mostly on auto aplications but i have already built a few full range speakers.

I have been using Bass Box for help calculating port lenghts and port velocities. For my most recent bulid i have calculated a Vb of 2.793 sqft with a port length of 24.88" . My question is what effect does Vb have on an enclosure and sound quality. Seems like a pretty big box for a single 12 subwoofer. (trying to hit an Fb=32hz)

thanks for all the help guys.

what effect does Vb have on an enclosure

..it affects the size of the enclosure. Can you be a little more specific?

and sound quality.

All things being equal, a properly built enclosure should not affect "sound quality" what so ever, except for obvious elements like phase and group delay. The driver is designed to operate (mostly) linearly within its usable passband, and is unaffected by the enclosure itself.

The Vb chosen depends on both the Vas of the driver, and the tuning of the box Fb.
The best way to see the effects of a change in Vb is to input the parameters of your driver into Unibox or Winisd, and vary Vb only, leaving the tuning fixed. (In a real design, they interact, so you need to tweak both).
Generally, too large a Vb and you'll get a hump in bass response, too small and you'll get a falling off of bass response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.