I have one of these... what should I put it in? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2010, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I have one of these... what should I put it in?

SB Acoustics SW26DAC76-8 Shallow 10" Subwoofer from Madisound

I have a single one of these that I want to put under a sofa. The driver is shallow enough, and the underside of the sofa is fairly spacious, so enclosure size is not a huge issue, although I know this thing CAN go in a tine box. I will be powering it with a pro audio amp that will not have the boost that the Madisound-recommended amp would have, but I could always add a Feedback Destroyer or something if that is necessary. Anybody have any experience with these things?
Old 4th April 2010, 12:20 AM   #2
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Under the sofa is a good idea if you like to feel the bass, because it will probably shake the sofa somewhat. The easiest enclosure is a closed box and the most complicated probably some kind of horn. If you dont want cinema listening levels, a closed box will be enough and is the easiest to build. A bandpass or bassreflex will give a little more output at the cost of a little extra complexity. For lots of output, consider a tapped horn, but those are even more complicated to design.

Last edited by MaVo; 4th April 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 4th April 2010, 01:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe I should be more specific. I am not really experienced with programs like WinISD and stuff and I was hoping someone had modeled that sub and could tell me my best options with sealed and ported....

I have four or five 3" Precision Ports (flared) laying around that I would be happy to use...
Old 4th April 2010, 11:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No better time to learn than today. There are quite a few free programs out there to help you model different enclosures. Unibox is a free program that runs on excel. Very easy to use. All the driver data that you need is posted on Madisound already. You already spent 200 dollars on this driver, it's worth spending a little bit of time to find the enclosure that suites your needs best. Once you come up with an enclosure that looks good post it here and I'm sure somebody will be more than willing to look it over for you.
Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!