Dayton SD315-88 12" - DVC310-88 12"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm fairly new to this DIY audio. I want to setup a empty room in my house
to be my listening area. It's 12.5X12ft, so not exactly big but it's empty.

I'm thinking of getting 4 12" 8Ohm DVC's on a Crown XTI 1000. I believe it
would run a 4ohm load on the XTI.

I'm debating between a lower budget or going with the higher end. I listen
to a wide variety of music, pop, rock, country. I think the cheaper woofers
may be good enough. The XTI should be able to power them easily at
low volumes with generous results.

I'd welcome some advice on box design and overall any suggestions on
woofers to buy. I have a some extra cash and I would love to get the XTI
hooked up. It's been sitting around for nearly a year and bass is lacking
on my home system.

Thanks

Parts-Express.com:Dayton DVC310-88 12" DVC Series Subwoofer | subwoofer dvc310-88 12" subwoofer dvc dual voice coil dayton subwoofer dayton dvc dayton 12" woofer

Parts-Express.com:Dayton SD315-88 12" Shielded DVC Subwoofer | subwoofer sd315-88 12" subwoofer dvc dual voice coil dayton subwoofer dayton dvc dayton 12" woofer daytonDVC030209 Upto15PerOffDASubs

I would use the DVC310. The extra oomph is worth the money IMO. I have some of the 15's. And if you ever get the bug to try out horns, the larger Dayton By Eminence DVCs lend themselves to that sort of thing.

I would also run the Xti at 8 ohms, not 4. Sure, it will *run*, but this model has a VERY FAST ACTING protection circuit which limits bass output at 2 or 4 ohms. If you were looking for amps, you would get advice steering you away from it - perhaps even toward the inexpensive EP4000.

Thanks for the info on the AMP. I might have to pick one up, I may just have to pick
one up. Wait and see what my account looks like after I pay bills.

If that amp is stable to 2ohm, it should be able to push 8 of those puppies. That'd be
awesome. Maybe do six, three in each box kind of like a "MartinLogan Descent." But
a little bigger enclosure. Something to think about over the weekend.

Use the XTI to push my main speakers. The AMC I have is good but they
want more than the AMC pushes.

Attachments

• Dayton-DVC310-88_T-TQWT_OD.GIF
    Dayton-DVC310-88_T-TQWT_OD.GIF
    194.3 KB · Views: 220
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.