Level-dependend Sound Quality by certainly Bass Drivers - very bad sound at low level - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2012, 10:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
Hello,
it is listenable,
proved by Hornlautsprecher - Avantgarde Acoustic? Hornlautsprecher GMBH
they wrote this in philosophie ~2000
"The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down etc.etc. "

In my double horns you get 100 dB 1W1m with less of 1 mm stroke down to 35 Hz and no
bassimpedanz = below 50 Hz ~4 Ohm, and you know a difference of 6 dB is not able to fill with a bigger amp.

(m
Heavy diaphragms with low motor strength sound muddy, slow, whatever you choose to call their response, and regardless of the surround material.

With enough BL, even huge "heavy bass membranes" can have great transient response, as the impulse response of two of Josh Ricci's 21" B&C woofers in a small sealed enclosure prove.

They also, with enough amp power, get plenty loud, well above 130dB at two meters outdoors in the upper range.

I am a fan of bass horns for their efficiency, but with amp power relatively cheap, and real estate often at a premium in a house, they are not the only way to get clean articulate bass detail.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png DataBass.png (69.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 3rd March 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
With enough BL, even huge "heavy bass membranes" can have great transient response.
Art
Exactly. The kind of suspension from the transducer determines mainly the perceived audible quality:
the higher the value for Qms (the lower the Rms) the better the audible resoluition. Unfortunately I cannot easy estimate the final quality (resp. final value) of non linear effects in the suspension in case of used aluminum voice coil former and / or short-circuit rings and copper hats for pole pieces.

In such cases there are two influence factors for the value of Rms/Qms:

1) the linear factor (eddy current losses)
2) the non linear factor from suspension

How I extract the last by measuring the TSP values - that is for me the actually question.

I note, that most of commercial developer still don't know, where the wind blows.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 3rd March 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!