Level-dependend Sound Quality by certainly Bass Drivers - very bad sound at low level

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the years I observe always very bad sound in the low level sonic aera by certaily material of the surround - mostly certainly kind of rubber material. All this loudspeakers have in most (not in all) cases a low value of mechanical quality (parameter: Qms).

If I measure the parameters, I observe also level independend so as temperature independend Thiele Small parameter variation for Fres, Qms, Qes and Vas, except in such cases, where the low QMS value caused only through aluminium shortening ring on the voice coil and copper capped pole piece.

For my subwoofer and loudspeaker projects I use therefore mostly cloth surrounds or foam surrounds. Here I haven't above mentioned unwanted effects. There are very few rubber surounds with level and temperature independend behaviour. The KEF B110A-SP1003 or the various types of PHL's B17 series are good examples. Bad examples through the selected rubber material for surround are certainly models of the Dynaudio drivers (at least that types from the Contour series, that I know).

The parameter Qms and thus Rms consists of a nonlinear (level-dependent) component and a linear (level independent and temperature independend) component.

The linear component causes through aluminium shortening ring so as copper capped pole piece - e. g. Peerless HDS182 about
http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/Peerless/850467.pdf

And the non linear (level-dependent) component causes through the rubber material of surround or - if cloth material used - the material of impregnation and its behavior at different strains und different temperatures (by the spider only the material of impregnation and its behavior).

Which measuring methods exist today for loudspeaker chassis TSP measurement, to determine isolated these two influence factors for the parameter Qms resp. Rms?

Thank you for your comments

Last edited:
Are there any news concerning measuring methods for extract the linear and non linear parts arround the value of mechanical losses (Qms) ??

Is the value extremly low in case of HF drivers (tweeters) the case is quite clear: Ferrofluid is in use (I hate it like the plague).

But in case of the Bass-Mid aera by low Qms values it is mostly hard to say - have a look to the drivers from Morel, Dynaudio and Seas.

If I want modify crossover networks by loudspeaker models, where this brands are in use, I always get stomach ache and headache.

Last edited:
Hello,
"bad sound in the low level sonic aera"
i wrote:
The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down and this is especially
noticeable on lower sound levels, typical for a normal living room, where the larger
the mass of the membrane, the more it will dampen the signal, which is the main reason
for the serious lack of bass resolution in heavy bass membranes.

Hello,
"bad sound in the low level sonic aera"
i wrote:
The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down and this is especially
noticeable on lower sound levels, typical for a normal living room, where the larger
the mass of the membrane, the more it will dampen the signal, which is the main reason

Most developers and manufacturers of electrostatic loudspeakers tell me the same.

But this is wrong, as long as a suspension with very low loss is present (check therefore always the parameter "Qms" and "Rms").

If you have heard this transducer from Morel (Mms 105 g) about
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Subwoofer/UW/Specs Sheet UW 1258.pdf
against follow transducer from Eminence, model Lab12 (146 g) about
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/LAB_12.pdf
you will understand, why your estimate isn't correct.

If that occurs, what you describe in previous post, then it could be a also driver like the follow:
http://www.ground-zero-audio.com/en/products/subwooferchassis/gzpw-12spl.html
Here the two parameters Qms and Rms are not published.
Nevertheless such a driver can also provide good bass transmission at low levels.
But you only know exactly this after after a thorough investigation (i. e. explicit soundcheck).
In case of the Morel bass transducer model the case is clear: The behaviour is exact as you say in previous post.

BTW - the most significant disadvantages of small cubes in subwoofer applications are the very small piston aera. This means too many places in the listening room with too much bass and not enough bass.

Last edited:

I suggest you try to prove it using scientific means.

Last edited:
Hello,
it is listenable,
proved by Hornlautsprecher - Avantgarde Acoustic? Hornlautsprecher GMBH
they wrote this in philosophie ~2000
"The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down and this is especially
for the serious lack of bass resolution in heavy bass membranes.The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down and this is especially
for the serious lack of bass resolution in heavy bass membranes. "

In my double horns you get 100 dB 1W1m with less of 1 mm stroke down to 35 Hz and no
bassimpedanz = below 50 Hz ~4 Ohm, and you know a difference of 6 dB is not able to fill with a bigger amp.

(m

Hello,
it is listenable,
proved by Hornlautsprecher - Avantgarde Acoustic? Hornlautsprecher GMBH
they wrote this in philosophie ~2000
"The inertia of the a heavy membrane slows the music signal down etc.etc. "

In my double horns you get 100 dB 1W1m with less of 1 mm stroke down to 35 Hz and no
bassimpedanz = below 50 Hz ~4 Ohm, and you know a difference of 6 dB is not able to fill with a bigger amp.

(m
Heavy diaphragms with low motor strength sound muddy, slow, whatever you choose to call their response, and regardless of the surround material.

With enough BL, even huge "heavy bass membranes" can have great transient response, as the impulse response of two of Josh Ricci's 21" B&C woofers in a small sealed enclosure prove.

They also, with enough amp power, get plenty loud, well above 130dB at two meters outdoors in the upper range.

I am a fan of bass horns for their efficiency, but with amp power relatively cheap, and real estate often at a premium in a house, they are not the only way to get clean articulate bass detail.

Art

Attachments

• DataBass.png
    DataBass.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 76
With enough BL, even huge "heavy bass membranes" can have great transient response.
Art
Exactly. The kind of suspension from the transducer determines mainly the perceived audible quality:
the higher the value for Qms (the lower the Rms) the better the audible resoluition. Unfortunately I cannot easy estimate the final quality (resp. final value) of non linear effects in the suspension in case of used aluminum voice coil former and / or short-circuit rings and copper hats for pole pieces.

In such cases there are two influence factors for the value of Rms/Qms:

1) the linear factor (eddy current losses)
2) the non linear factor from suspension

How I extract the last by measuring the TSP values - that is for me the actually question.

I note, that most of commercial developer still don't know, where the wind blows.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.