The Biggest SUBWOOFER of the WORLD (in Milano) - full power down to 10Hz - Galerie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, don't exaggerate.
Maximum SPL in the negative pressure direction is a vacuum at about 194 dB.
Maximum pressure in the positive pressure direction is, in theory, unlimited. Work out how many PSI over atmospheric it would need to be to reach "several hundred DB". (Assuming several=3 or 4)

I am not arguing with the paper that described it in AES. Be my guest. If I remember, they took the exhaust of a jet engine and modulated it, then ran it into a 60 foot horn. I don't remember that they said it was symmetrical, so it is the difference in pressure between the minimum and maximum that is important. Don't think about a big speaker. They were simulating 5 rockets that by definition add more gas that they consume.

Yeah, at these levels it's largely "overpressure", not symmetrical. But still not even close to "several hundred", according to William Hamby's handy-dandy chart referred to earlier. (Space shuttle launch about 215dB at the pad, Saturn 5 about 220.)

On the "overpressure" subject, it's interesting to look at the asymmetric waveform on the shuttle launch recording I referred to earlier:

Attachments

• Shuttle.png
    Shuttle.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 113
And for somebody who takes his bass seriously, who believes (seriously!!) that correctly reproduced sound at these frequencies, at levels of 135dB is just loud enough, who is certainly not afraid to get his hands dirty to get results, who had to spend quite an effort to ensure his house could take the strain, who enjoys intimidating guests with recordings of fireworks at full volume, who is enveloped in a dust cloud of minor debris from the ceiling after a solid workout, I present .... www.Basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair

This bloke is for real ...

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.