The Biggest SUBWOOFER of the WORLD (in Milano) - full power down to 10Hz - Galerie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's not the biggest. But this one is...Check out royal devices. This guy built the a folded horn with sixteen 18" subs under the house a while back. Theoretically capable of 160db down to 10hz!
IL PIU' GRANDE SUBWOOFER DEL MONDO - by Roberto Delle Curti - Italy

I know this SW from the day he put it on www. He inspired me to do it as you can see on my pics. Ground space reserved for my under floor subwoofer is 1,2 m x 6 m x 5 m :)

One PD.2450 has more dB at 20 Hz than four 18" drivers, that was the reason I took Precision Devices. Also single driver has less problems than four in parallel ... ;)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, big or biggest is okay to a point. It's easy to lose track of performance. I think that this is the area where problems begin and some of us fail to recognise. Besides, shouldn't the performance goals be mentioned with these various deigns?

Many, many years ago I designed some loudspeakers for an organ salesman. These were for the electronic organs that were coming out for churches. They needed to get down below 20 Hz - at least that was one of the requirements in the contract. I got us down to roughly 18 Hz, not allowing for room gain. We measured these outside in free field. The boxes were a B4 alignment in about 20 cu feet each. They were pretty deadly, and they only needed a 60 watt amplifier. One pair of 18" woofers, one in each box, was all it took. At that time, the EV 30" woofers were being talked about, but they really weren't suitable for home use. You simply do not need anything that large. Keep in mind that the larger your woofer is, the larger the internal volume of the box must be. The more air you plan on moving, the stronger the box must be as well. It doesn't take long before the box becomes too large and heavy to deal with. Yes, I do know a couple people who had the boxes cast in concrete in their basements.

-Chris

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, don't exaggerate.
Maximum SPL in the negative pressure direction is a vacuum at about 194 dB.
Maximum pressure in the positive pressure direction is, in theory, unlimited. Work out how many PSI over atmospheric it would need to be to reach "several hundred DB". (Assuming several=3 or 4)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.