Please Help Finishing Front Baffle of Subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
usmcjlp is offline usmcjlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Please Help Finishing Front Baffle of Subwoofer

I hope this is in the right forum. I am in the process of finishing a large ported enclosure for 2 15" subwoofers. My intent is to make the enclosure look like a low console table or small tv stand. It measures 72"Wx20"Hx23"D. It is actually 2 separate enclosures, each with dual 4" ports. I am veneering the cabinet in cherry, have furniture style bun feet, and some solid cherry to trim it out. I intend to make 2 speaker grills which will have a cabinet door frame with grill cloth insert to look like doors.

I have hit a snag. I have already routed all holes in the baffle. I have finished assembly except for the top, which was to go on last.

1. I was about to veneer the baffle but I am unsure how to trim the veneer around the 15" holes for the drivers, without it looking ragged. I am flush mounting the woofers. I have an edge trimmer, but I am not sure it will work with a curved edge. Is a router with edge trimmer bit the best way to go? I have lined the entire interior with 1 1/2" acoustic foam from parts express, so I would like to keep dust down to a minimum.

2. I was going to use #10 bolts with hurricane nuts to mount the subs. However, once I cut the holes to the driver spec, the edge of the nut extends beyond the lip. I am thinking of cutting and gluing a small piece of MDF to reinforce the bolt positions. Is this necessary, or will it even work?

3. I was going to mount the 2 subs, to anchor the hurricane nuts in the back of the baffle. Remove them and then install the top with glue and biscuits. This way no chance of glue on the drivers. Then reinstall them and be done. Has anyone worked with the hurricane nuts, will this work? If not I will be forced to use a standard wood screw because I won't have access to the rear of the driver.

I know these are pretty basic questions, thanks for the help.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi there: My understanding of the use of the hurricane nuts are: They install permanently into a hole in the driver board inside the cabinet, the flutes on the shaft of the nut hold the nut in. I measured a #8 hurricane nut flange: 1.7mm =0.6693-inches. This would place the hole centerline a minimum of 0.335 from the edge of the driver cut-out. Possibly the #8 nut would work? Posting a detail photo (and a section sketch of the driver mounting) of where you are at this time would help the community assist you. ...regards, Michael
Old 30th March 2010, 02:42 AM   #3
usmcjlp is offline usmcjlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you, I am new to the forums. I will try to post pics when I can get my wife's camera. Good news is that I was able to veneer the entire cabinet tonight. I used heat lock glue from veneersupplies.com and a household iron. It worked like a charm. Very quick and no loose edges. I did figure out the driver openings, a 3/8" edge trim router bit worked well. The driver opening is my main concern now.

Hide this!Advertise here!