have passive subwoofers had their day???

Have passive subs had their day? Do you own an active or passive sub.

• I own active sub

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I own passive sub

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Both

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just looking around some hifi retailers In my city today and It hit me..... I did'nt see ONE passive sub anywhere. I have traditionaly enjoyed the passive sub / dedicated amp setup but mabe It's time to move on. Do YOU think they have had their day? :) What is the ratio of active VS passive subs today? One for the experts I think

Ric

Active subs have the benefit of an excellent match. An excellent match means less returns. Any manufacturer with a brain the size of a pea will strive for a product that doesn't come back for warranty repair. Active subs can include a line level cross-over which is at least 5 times less expensive than passive. Did I mention built-in EQ and over excursion protection?

I could keep going, but I got stuff to do ;)

It depends on what you mean by a "passive" sub.

If you mean one that has a passive crossover in it and outputs to mains, then those are (rightfully!) dead and buried. Except for at Bose. (Maybe even there; can't say I've checked recently.)

If you mean one that doesn't have an amp built into the box, that's likely not a sale-able proposition, except as in-wall subs. (Many manufacturers sell "custom install" subs that are ampless and then sell a separate box with amps/processing. Tannoy, Velodyne, and Polk are three such examples.) However, many DIYers build sub boxes without amps, and use external amps/processing. So if that's what you mean by "passive" then they're not totally dead.

As far as "optional" subs go, yes, passives have had their day. The cost and components of doing any reasonable passive crossover is huge, and The sub needs to be as sensitive as the mains, so it limits the systems they can work in.

The only way they really work is as "bass bins"- dedicated woofer sections designed to match the mains.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
What?? No ability to say that you have both??

Horses for courses of course.
But then I almost always Bi-amp when building but not always and a simple passive as a .8 is often a simple solution to adding a little depth to existing systems.
I vote for both according to circumstances

Just looking around some hifi retailers In my city today and It hit me..... I did'nt see ONE passive sub anywhere. I have traditionaly enjoyed the passive sub / dedicated amp setup but mabe It's time to move on. Do YOU think they have had their day? :) What is the ratio of active VS passive subs today? One for the experts I think

Ric
Yep, deader than a dodo.
Manufacturers have different requiremnets for a saleable item, then a DIYer does. An all in one box with amp, xover, EQ, level and phase adjustments is an easier sale than an enclosure with separate electronics. But the latter is no issue for many DIYers who'll go for best performance of bang for buck.

I have never been the fan of the idea of putting an amp in a vibrating box.
Some of these subwoofer can be thousands of watts.
Thats a lot of vibrating power.
There's nothing forcing you to use a plate amp. Pro amps are typically W for W cheaper anyway.

Assuming that by "active sub" you mean a sub with an amp built into the box - they came heavily in favor in the 1990's for HT and mid-fi music systems.

Separately amped subs (typically with active line level crossovers/processing) are VERY much favored for high end hi fi, DIY, car audio and pro sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.