have passive subwoofers had their day??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Have passive subs had their day? Do you own an active or passive sub.
I own active sub 10 40.00%
I own passive sub 10 40.00%
Both 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th March 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default have passive subwoofers had their day???

Just looking around some hifi retailers In my city today and It hit me..... I did'nt see ONE passive sub anywhere. I have traditionaly enjoyed the passive sub / dedicated amp setup but mabe It's time to move on. Do YOU think they have had their day? What is the ratio of active VS passive subs today? One for the experts I think

Ric
Old 27th March 2010, 01:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Active subs have the benefit of an excellent match. An excellent match means less returns. Any manufacturer with a brain the size of a pea will strive for a product that doesn't come back for warranty repair. Active subs can include a line level cross-over which is at least 5 times less expensive than passive. Did I mention built-in EQ and over excursion protection?

I could keep going, but I got stuff to do
Old 27th March 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

It depends on what you mean by a "passive" sub.

If you mean one that has a passive crossover in it and outputs to mains, then those are (rightfully!) dead and buried. Except for at Bose. (Maybe even there; can't say I've checked recently.)

If you mean one that doesn't have an amp built into the box, that's likely not a sale-able proposition, except as in-wall subs. (Many manufacturers sell "custom install" subs that are ampless and then sell a separate box with amps/processing. Tannoy, Velodyne, and Polk are three such examples.) However, many DIYers build sub boxes without amps, and use external amps/processing. So if that's what you mean by "passive" then they're not totally dead.
Old 27th March 2010, 02:17 PM   #4
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

As far as "optional" subs go, yes, passives have had their day. The cost and components of doing any reasonable passive crossover is huge, and The sub needs to be as sensitive as the mains, so it limits the systems they can work in.

The only way they really work is as "bass bins"- dedicated woofer sections designed to match the mains.
Old 27th March 2010, 02:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

PMC XB2, XB3 and SB100 are passive in the sense that they come without amps or crossovers and require an external processor and amplifier.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What?? No ability to say that you have both??

Horses for courses of course.
But then I almost always Bi-amp when building but not always and a simple passive as a .8 is often a simple solution to adding a little depth to existing systems.
I vote for both according to circumstances
Old 28th March 2010, 02:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have never been the fan of the idea of putting an amp in a vibrating box.
Some of these subwoofer can be thousands of watts.
Thats a lot of vibrating power.
Old 28th March 2010, 02:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Plank View Post
Just looking around some hifi retailers In my city today and It hit me..... I did'nt see ONE passive sub anywhere. I have traditionaly enjoyed the passive sub / dedicated amp setup but mabe It's time to move on. Do YOU think they have had their day? What is the ratio of active VS passive subs today? One for the experts I think

Ric
Yep, deader than a dodo.
Manufacturers have different requiremnets for a saleable item, then a DIYer does. An all in one box with amp, xover, EQ, level and phase adjustments is an easier sale than an enclosure with separate electronics. But the latter is no issue for many DIYers who'll go for best performance of bang for buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I have never been the fan of the idea of putting an amp in a vibrating box.
Some of these subwoofer can be thousands of watts.
Thats a lot of vibrating power.
There's nothing forcing you to use a plate amp. Pro amps are typically W for W cheaper anyway.
Old 29th March 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
What?? No ability to say that you have both??

Horses for courses of course.
But then I almost always Bi-amp when building but not always and a simple passive as a .8 is often a simple solution to adding a little depth to existing systems.
I vote for both according to circumstances
Sorry, I was having a Lewis hamilton moment......
Old 29th March 2010, 11:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Assuming that by "active sub" you mean a sub with an amp built into the box - they came heavily in favor in the 1990's for HT and mid-fi music systems.

Separately amped subs (typically with active line level crossovers/processing) are VERY much favored for high end hi fi, DIY, car audio and pro sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!