The DubHorn:Wi's TC 5100NEO loaded 20hz horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, it is officially that time. I have found my driver, now I will make a horn around it. New ground up FLH design. This thread is intended to chronicle the process from conception, through prototyping, to final design.

Design goals:

>Horn loading to 20hz
>Load with a single TC Sounds 5100NEO
>140db @ 20hz Half Space with 4 cabs/4kw or less

****Uber Super Special Thanks to maxmercy for he is the HornResp Don, and without him this would not be possible****

Here is the initial trace. Grey is one cab, Black is 3. 1kw to each driver, half space.

l_0fa427c4d2694614bfc799e6eb70d221.jpg

Expect more updates randomly over the next cpl of months...

I want flat to 20hz, as loud as can be from one or 2 20A 120v circuits. I draw 3kw now, if I can beat the THTs by 10db at 20hz(real figure BTW) I'll win even more.

BTW, one critical missing piece... how big/heavy per cabinet?

Looks like a permanent installation. i guess something aroung 1000liters.

Edit: 1) This driver isnt exactly what one would call "cost-effective". You could get better performance for less money. 2) Front loaded horns tend to perform worse than tapped horns as long as the mouth size is small. For a single sub, especially for a 20hz one, tapped horns can give great performance in much smaller sizes.

Last edited:
lol, i guess the project can be worthwhile with the appropriate level of fanaticism :D

fanaticism is the CORRECT word for Wi. He wants what he wants, and trying to talk him into something else is a waste of time. His standards are high, and I'm not sure in a quick sim that I can do what he asks. I have to sim in 1pi wall loading to get there on my first attempt.

hmmm...

Attachments

• dual15tbx100.JPG
    dual15tbx100.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,811
1) This driver isnt exactly what one would call "cost-effective". You could get better performance for less money.

That is arguable, but I have to wait till the paperwork is signed.

2) Front loaded horns tend to perform worse than tapped horns as long as the mouth size is small.

In a direct comparo, the TH gives a bit more at 20-30 but sacrifices above 40.

Here is a TH vs FLH graph.

TH is grey, FLH is black. Hence my choice of open back FLH.

l_35d65060bfe645bbbda7907d156a2d2b.jpg

jbell, my friend, been far too long.

These cabs are going to replace my THTs.

Time to post my intro thread here I guess. hehe

Yea, after seeing your name, I popped over to avs to catch up on some interesting topics....

Still looking for an answer on how big of a cabinet you are willing to lug around? Does one of them still have to fit in the back of your explorer? and are you trailering, and need to be able to fit through a 2'6" door?

how's bowling?

Still looking for an answer on how big of a cabinet you are willing to lug around? Does one of them still have to fit in the back of your explorer? and are you trailering, and need to be able to fit through a 2'6" door?

Still the uhaul. At this point all I want is as much out of a cab as possible, if it is bigger than the THTs that's ok because I'll only have to take one or 2. 3 THTs handled a big house party nicely. Hopefully one of these will. If I have to take all 4 dubhorns, the show will be big enough and I'll get a truck.

Unfortunately at 215k miles the Explorer is slowly giving up the ghost. It has served me VERY well however.

how's bowling?

Great, shot my first 2 300s in September and got hooked up with a new company called Motiv. I'm on staff and help them with technical stuff, as well as shooting vids of all their releases. Absolutely great bunch up there in Muskegon. If you go to youtube and search "justin motiv" you'll find all the vids.

TH is grey, FLH is black. Hence my choice of open back FLH.

Open back FLH, BLH, TH... all kinda run together in my mind as slight variations on a them.
Your current open THT's are somewhere in that continuum.

One point to consider, I chose to 'maxi' my 3015lf's with some bonded acoustic cotton due to motor 'port' noise.... I'm guessing your port noise will be 10 times worse with your chosen driver if it is exposed.

One point to consider, I chose to 'maxi' my 3015lf's with some bonded acoustic cotton due to motor 'port' noise.... I'm guessing your port noise will be 10 times worse with your chosen driver if it is exposed.

At 140db, I doubt it will be an issue haha but I will take it under consideration.

Also the vent is rather flared:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So first question - what inputs to get that response?
Second is it seems that this is just a waste of $ in a "mine is bigger than yours" type of ******* contest.

Right off the bat my TH221 clone:
Single cab 1600 Lt, 131 DB at 20 Hz via 60 volts. 2 pi. 142.6 @ .5 at 20 with peak of 145 at 100 Hz plus. There is more room left in that via EQ/speaker control.
That is 1 complete box for roughly the price of just 1 of those TC drivers.

I am also curious as to what type of music do you play?

Last edited:
Design goals:
>Horn loading to 20hz
>Load with a single TC Sounds 5100NEO
>140db @ 20hz Half Space with 4 cabs/4kw or less

Wi:

It's the 4wk or less that's kind of biting me on this design.
Here's 80v at 8ohm, or about 800watts per cab. (I used .5pi to show 4 cabs, or 1 cab in corner)

While it doesn't quite get to 140, it is only a little over 800liters, and uses half the $$$ in drivers. (I had considered a sim with a boat load of 55-2421, just for grins...) If you want 140, you can get it, but cabinet size almost balloons to twice the size. (as others have asked, please post or link to your original hornresp inputs, so we know what size of cabinet you are willing to haul.)

I think it does get the 'flattest from 20-100hz' award though, and has more 20hz than your original hornresp sim.

Let me know if this is helpful.

BTW -- haven't been following, how did your 'kick' experiment turn out? It kinda affects this, as we need to know how high you need your sub to go.

FLIPC, not sure I've seen your TH221 clone? can you post or pm?

Attachments

• wibigbox.JPG
    wibigbox.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.