The DubHorn:Wi's TC 5100NEO loaded 20hz horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Checking out the C&S remix as I type.

Someone post the correct HR inputs for that TC 18 sub.
TC Sounds Pro 5100 18 1K rms 4K peak 19.1 X 38.1Xmech 94.5db 2x2 ohm
So 19.1 is Xmax and 38.1 is Xlim - not Xmax ?
I used a general SD of 1680 and went from there. Put it into my TH 221 clone sim and get 137 DB at 20 Hz 2 Pi 133 v ! Though 24-28 Hz cause some issues. You could just build a single one of these and have it vertical with permanent caster like the Th 812 from Danley.
I think that would dismantle a house!
150 Db at .5 pi @ 20 Hz. Bajeebus ! Would make me nut my pants at full tilt.

And tx klank for the posting about that remix.
I do like the rap over it. Will use it to flip the script on the original.

Pro-5100 NEO
Qts 0.245 Total Q
Qes 0.25 Electrical Q
Qms 6.9 Mechanical Q
Fs 26.5 Hertz, Free Air Resonance
Res 3.02 Ohms, DC resistance
Ls 2.8 H, series inductance
Lp 4.2 H, lossy series inductance
Rp 5.3 Ohms, loss across Lp
Dia 390 m meters, effective
Vas 251 liters, air volume equivalent
mms 287 grams, effective mass
cms 125 um/N, compliance
bl 23.8 T*m, motor strength
SplSens 94.5 dBSPL max @1W absorbed

Geometric Stroke 19.1 Millimeters, (voice coil - gap) / 2
70% BL 31.0 Millimeters, BL is 0.7 original value (one way)
Xmech 38.1 Mechanical displacement limit (one way)
Long Term Power 1000 Watts
Program Power 4000 Watts, short term peak power limit

Sd 0.1195 sq m

Quick update:

After looking at ported, front loaded horn, and tapped horn, the tapped horn is looking the best for efficiency and output. The first graph is 1vs2, the second graph is 2vs4 half space, and the third graph is the excursion plot at 976w.

l_170ba468a26643699d933ebaf355b1b1.jpg

l_bea44f1f4fe74943a9183065f35c9ecb.jpg

l_cb5f31a9b65e41d987b5da79fff39446.jpg

More info forthcoming.

Here are the hornresp inputs:

ID=23.40
Ang=2.0 x Pi
Eg=2.00
Rg=0.00
Fta=1.49
S1=400.00
S2=450.97
Con=25.00
F12=0.00
S2=450.97
S3=1722.07
Con=440.00
F23=0.00
S3=1722.07
S4=2000.00
Con=70.00
F34=0.00
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=1195.00
Bl=24.00
Cms=1.26E-04
Rms=6.91
Mmd=262.88
Le=3.50
Re=3.02
TH=1
Vrc=0.00
Lrc=0.00
Ap1=0.00
Lpt=0.00
Vtc=0.00
Atc=0.00
Com=TC Pro 5100 Neo Tapped

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what the ID= means; everything else makes sense in context. Try the attached import and response curves to get you started. This isn't a "final design" as I haven't meticulously checked it over (plus I'm still a bit of an amateur at modeling tapped horns), but I believe it'll get you close. On the plot, the gray is single cab, the black is dual cab.

It does the requisite 140db at 20hz with two of those cabinets. Each cab is 1800 watts in. Note that it'd require EQing up the 30hz band, and the only way I can see to get 140db consistently without EQing anything up is to roll 3 cabinets, or, to hit the entire thing with a tuned circuit to electrically counteract the dip. But you mentioned you wanted to stay with a single 20a circuit - 3600w of output power can be had (barely) with 20a at 120v in, assuming 50% or less duty cycle in the program material - your dubstep doesn't consist of square waves, does it? :p

Attachments

• tcpro5100.JPG
    tcpro5100.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 554
  • tc5100.txt
    416 bytes · Views: 34
I'm not sure what the ID= means; everything else makes sense in context. Try the attached import and response curves to get you started. This isn't a "final design" as I haven't meticulously checked it over (plus I'm still a bit of an amateur at modeling tapped horns), but I believe it'll get you close. On the plot, the gray is single cab, the black is dual cab.

It does the requisite 140db at 20hz with two of those cabinets. Each cab is 1800 watts in. Note that it'd require EQing up the 30hz band, and the only way I can see to get 140db consistently without EQing anything up is to roll 3 cabinets, or, to hit the entire thing with a tuned circuit to electrically counteract the dip. But you mentioned you wanted to stay with a single 20a circuit - 3600w of output power can be had (barely) with 20a at 120v in, assuming 50% or less duty cycle in the program material - your dubstep doesn't consist of square waves, does it? :p

It consists of Square Saw Sine, with a smattering of drums.

I could build an EQ for it, but I want the cab to be as flat as possible innately.

Sometimes I roll to a house with a bin on my roof last minute. One cab hitting 130s in a house would be perfect.

Sometimes I get the penske rental and can take everything.

I can carefully run 3.5 FTX 2001s off of a 20A circuit all night, 90% of the venues I go to I can rail on them split on 2 20a circuits.

No EQ - no problem. But you do understand that these things will require a variable high-pass filter, right? The only way I see you using these is with a DCX2496 with the highpass set to 17hz with a very steep slope. The only thing analog that'd cut it is a 24db/octave Linkwitz-Reily device which is continuously tunable in 1hz or half-hz steps. Does such a thing exist, anyone?

These puppies just beg for a Lab Gruppen, or something else that's 1-ohm stable. Your Ashlys aren't rated for 2 ohms, which tells me they'd have a hard time slewing that much current. You'd get the rated output at half the voltage and it'd sound nasty because the damping factor simply isn't there. I'll tell you what else you could roll that's economical and should be stable with that rig (although they don't tell you so in the spec sheet) - the Crown K2. Those amps are DC-coupled, so they've got usable response well below what you'd ever dump into the speakers (unless you roll the DCX2496). You'll find that amp selection for this application is tough, because many of them can't do power below 20hz (and you want the amp to be as wideband as possible since it's an analog device), but I think the K2 probably fits the bill while running bridged and input-limited upstream (again, another argument for the DCX2496).

No EQ - no problem. But you do understand that these things will require a variable high-pass filter, right? The only way I see you using these is with a DCX2496 with the highpass set to 17hz with a very steep slope. The only thing analog that'd cut it is a 24db/octave Linkwitz-Reily device which is continuously tunable in 1hz or half-hz steps. Does such a thing exist, anyone?

I have an Ashly NE8800m processor. 96k full PC controlled DSP.

I'll tell you what else you could roll that's economical and should be stable with that rig (although they don't tell you so in the spec sheet) - the Crown K2.

No fan, no go.

These puppies just beg for a Lab Gruppen, or something else that's 1-ohm stable. Your Ashlys aren't rated for 2 ohms, which tells me they'd have a hard time slewing that much current. You'd get the rated output at half the voltage and it'd sound nasty because the damping factor simply isn't there. You'll find that amp selection for this application is tough, because many of them can't do power below 20hz (and you want the amp to be as wideband as possible since it's an analog device), but I think the K2 probably fits the bill while running bridged and input-limited upstream (again, another argument for the DCX2496).

I trust my FTX-2001s, they have survived alot of use and they work every time. I don't trust the digital switching amps quite yet. I prefer a big toroid, large capacitance and lots of output devices for my sub applications. I am going to be trying a PE800 and PE1200 so I'll keep an open mind. Call me old school and ignorant. I prefer to call it analog.

Your Ashlys aren't rated for 2 ohms, which tells me they'd have a hard time slewing that much current.

They don't have to be. The 5100 is a dual 2, for a 4ohm load plus whatever the horn impedance will end up. They will be either comfy at 5 to 6 ohm mono, or pushed at 3-4 ohm mono.

I trust my FTX-2001s, they have survived alot of use and they work every time. I don't trust the digital switching amps quite yet. I prefer a big toroid, large capacitance and lots of output devices for my sub applications. I am going to be trying a PE800 and PE1200 so I'll keep an open mind. Call me old school and ignorant. I prefer to call it analog.

After posting, I compared specs on the Ashly and the K2 in-depth.. your Ashly has a slew rate that leaves a bit to be desired, and a horrible damping factor. I hope you do keep an open mind, because I'm convinced you'll hear the difference between an amp that can suck your speakers back to 0 in an instant, and one that can't. By the way, there ought to be plenty of amps which are DC coupled but use big analog power supplies. They're out there somewhere - maybe a Crest?

They don't have to be. The 5100 is a dual 2, for a 4ohm load plus whatever the horn impedance will end up. They will be either comfy at 5 to 6 ohm mono, or pushed at 3-4 ohm mono.

Right, the spec sheet says it's stable into any load. I find that to be a bit deceiving with such a dismal damping factor :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.