The DubHorn:Wi's TC 5100NEO loaded 20hz horn. - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 12:03 PM   #171
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzburgsoundsystem View Post
Assuming this amplifier is outputting no more than 45 Watts into each driver, moving up to 200 Watts should add 6 dB.
Connecting a second pair of these cabinets on a second 2 x 200 Watt amp should give us another 3 dB.

126 + 9 = 135?
and that is just from 4.

and then I'll put them on the floor, in a corner.

This is going to be fun!

Regards, Ben
Very interesting stuff!
But I'm a bit confused, how low go these and what size are they?
Old 8th March 2012, 04:07 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]

That's not 1m testing...What voltage was Applied to the drivers to get that?
Old 9th March 2012, 06:12 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Default m R g S r is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
That's not 1m testing...What voltage was Applied to the drivers to get that?[/QUOTE]

That's right. Testing was not at 1m, nor at a specific voltage. No such claims were made.

When I do proper outdoor testing with sine waves at measured voltages at 1 and 10m I will be happy to share the results. As said above, this was no more than playing the mono summed bass from music (using the iPod) through a basic dj mixer and 45W rms amplifier. This was in a relatively small room and too close to walls, the ceiling and floor to be considered a room suitable for measurements.

If you want serious data, this is not it. I only wanted to have a little proof of concept, to see that my work had not been wasted so far. When the snow has melted and the ground below it is no longer frozen solid I shall do further proper testing.

Regards, Ben
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:38 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Not sure if it's been posted but the 5100's are on special from parts express right now for $880.

I still wouldn't buy at that price but just a heads up!
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:44 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Talk about back from the dead. This project was scrapped when TC revised the pricing on the 5100 and it became 1500$. Even at the 880$ "special price", no driver is worth that. I think they were 550$ originally at the start of this one.

I built 4 18" loaded 23hz vented cabs with FaitalPRO drives and they kick serious tail. So do my new line arrays at +/-1db from 300-12k with 2 bands of EQ.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:32 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Boooooo...what happened to building horns?
Old 24th August 2012, 02:21 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

Honestly, I like the visceral quality of the vented cabinets. Standing in front of the 4 new 18s and a pair of 21s is a truly engaging experience. When the concrete floor under the rig modulates, I'm doing something right. My FR, waterfalls, and impulse response turned out exceptional. I still need to encounter the right conditions for THD measurements. The vented Faital cabs are the first I am happy with and would put my name on for resale. I'm going to build 4 more, they are simply nasty. The kickbins are going to get a redesign next. The subs and tops are settled. I do need to execute a few small baffle revisions on the tops.

I am the closest I have ever been to the system I have been envisioning for almost a decade.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:23 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting - full circle then, but with much better drivers...

Wisounds,

thanks for inspiring the project that I adopted! Can we take a look at your new system? What are your frequency response -3dB and max spl specifications and drivers?

Regards, Ben
Old 24th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

I just reviewed the thread, I'm glad you were able to get a cabinet out of it that suits your needs!

WiRay210 prototype build, +/-1db from 300-12k with measurements:
WiRay 210 prototype build thread, Faital 10s and planar HF horns

4 FaitalPRO 18HP1060 build:
4x FaitalPRO 18HP1060 build thread.

Latest measurements of a few drivers in a few different cabs:
Measuring party part Deux, 4 drivers(3-18s, 1-21) 2 enclosures.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:55 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

I just responded on avs about the br's. THAT is the way to build one!

Hide this!Advertise here!