Quad Drivers (ooooh =p ) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2001, 11:56 PM   #31
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Thanks for that explanation Grey.......
Old 31st December 2001, 01:53 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Bryan,
Bear with me here because I'm thinking out loud (in a manner of speaking--if you can't hear me, then lean closer to your monitor...).
I've always thought that there should be a clever way to use a hemispherical cabinet backing. It goes like this:
Launch a wavefront into the cabinet. It reflects. By basic laws governing optics and any other wave-related phenomena, this reflected wave front will return to the center (the radius of curvature) of the cabinet, thus focussing the wavefront.
Okay, so what?
What if you were to slot load the cabinet <i>right there</i> where the pressure wave focusses? Is there any benefit to doing that?
Remember the wave/partical duality of light. Your first impulse will be to think of this in particle terms, i.e. air molecules rushing back and forth. Don't think that way. Release your preconceptions. Think in waves, not particles. (This may end up dictating a certain necessary radius to the tube, say, 1/8 or 1/4 wavelength of the free air resonance, something like that.)
As a practical arrangement, cut a tube in half, axially. You've got two hemispherical cabinet backs. Place MDF across the fronts, mounting drivers up the middle, but spaced out a little bit, so that there's room for slots an inch or two wide (whatever the math says, I haven't broken out the books to work this out in detail, it's just a thought experiment) between each driver. You can analyze this as slots, or as ports. (I know in this day and time, everyone likes to use tubes for ports, but way back when they just had holes in the fronts of the cabinets.)
This idea has annoyed me ever since I first thought it up. I'm not saying that there <i>is</i> any benefit, just that there might be. Cogitate on this and see what you can come up with, pro or con.

Grey
Old 31st December 2001, 04:19 AM   #33
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Ok, trying to get a visualization here...

Are you suggesting that the slots be located on the MDF baffle or in the back of the enclosure?

Ok, only other thing I can think of right now, is where (if) wave cancellation from each of the drivers in the array is going to be a factor. For whatever reason, I'm visualizing wave interactions occuring at the very point in which the cabinet is slot loaded, maybe cancelling each other out? Or perhaps, if spaced properly, an even more focused point of energy at which the cabinet could be slot loaded? Hmm, I'll further partake in this discussion when I can clear my head and think logically about this...
Old 31st December 2001, 05:02 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Slots in front in the MDF, between the drivers, thus:
O (driver)
| (slot)
O
|
O
...etc.
(Not to scale--probably need the drivers closer together than the ASCII characters will allow.)

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!