Quad Drivers (ooooh =p ) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2001, 06:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

When the 12 Shiva IB was constructed, there weren't any Tempests or DVC 15's in existance.

There is some cancellation between the lower and upper woofers as a result of the separation between them. However it doesn't pose any real problem with regard to performance....

If I was doing it now I'd probably get 4-15"s and put them in a square.
Old 29th December 2001, 07:19 PM   #12
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I know what you mean by going overboard at first. But if you do your homework before building then you'll do fine. I went with 4 15", in my main left & right speakers, didn't want to build a seperate sub, wanted main speakers that'd go that low. I'd go with a vented enclosure, working out the port diameter and length is really easy. As for you wanting power, believe me whatever enclosure you make, you'll have enough power. I wanted alot of power for my system, until I realised how loud it plays at relatively low power levels.
Old 29th December 2001, 08:42 PM   #13
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Hifi,

Using multiple subs is to do with 2 things ... moving lots of air and acoustic coupling .... they'll still move lots of air in a line source but acoustic coupling will suffer quite a bit. also a line source is not so important @ these frequencies.
Old 29th December 2001, 09:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You want excessive? How about an 18" or 24" crossed over at about 20-30Hz as a sub-sub? I've run across people doing things like that now and again. I believe an earlier version of the Wilson WAMM used an 18" below 40-50Hz or so. I don't know what the current version uses. The Wisdom Audio folks are using 18" back-to-back in each end of a round enclosure (you listening, Bryan?), but I don't know the crossover point. Guess I need to do some web surfing and see what the commercial folks are up to these days.
(If I'm not careful, I'll talk myself into another project, here...)
Incidentally, the twelve 12" w/servo loop thing has been done for years; I didn't think it up. Arnie Nudell did it for the IRS back when he was at Infinity, and uses the same strategy now at Genesis. I've heard both the IRS and the Genesis Model 1s...and though I have reservations about some aspects of both speakers' reproduction, the low end in both was exemplary.

Grey
Old 29th December 2001, 09:22 PM   #15
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

ok..i se your point audiofreak i was more worried about in room respons and so on than high spl =)

/micke
Old 29th December 2001, 09:35 PM   #16
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

after comparing the shiva mkII with the 12" dayton dvc i'd say it'd be a close race between them.
Old 29th December 2001, 09:38 PM   #17
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Please, Grey, you know how much I'd love to play with the new Aura 18 inchers, but I haven't the space nor money nor self control to apply any sense of reason into a project like that...

As for that Wisdom Audio sub, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. If you can dig up a link or a pic, let me at it. I'd be interested, considering the only other dual 18 inch offering I've ever seen was the Wilson XS.
Old 29th December 2001, 10:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AvoidTheLloyd
Default Thanks, guys

Thanks, all for the feedback =p I'm really just 'testing the water' right now to see if this is something I'd actually like to get into - so far so good. Box construction is coming along nice, but I have a few (more) questions about that.

I'm using high density particle board, but what should I use to adhere the pieces together - would wood glue be acceptable, or screws and rubber gaskets...caulk? I'm using a 4th order bandpass (or trying to) with 4 8" drivers and am desperatly searching for a way to power them all, so if anyone has a link to a decent transformer layout (RMS will average around 500 watts, or should at least) it'd be greatly appreciated, as well as input boards (I don't know what else I'd call 'em, sorry..) and associated stuff for making a powered unit.

Again, thanks for the response so far
Old 29th December 2001, 10:25 PM   #19
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

screws, caulk, glue and sealant.
Old 29th December 2001, 10:34 PM   #20
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Avoid:

Your quote: "I'm using a 4th order bandpass (or trying to) with 4 8" drivers and am desperatly searching for a way to power them all, so if anyone has a link to a decent transformer layout....".

Why do you need a transformer? Hook them up in series or parallel if you are using two channels. If you use one channel, two pairs of series connected speakers will yield the original impedance when the pairs are hooked in parallel to each other.

Hide this!Advertise here!