Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2010, 05:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa 12" sub design

Hi guys,
I'm going to be using Vifa's 12" sub for a home audio subwoofer.
However I dont have a box building program and I have hardly any download left to get one.

The company provide a design already however they have a chart that is all mixed up, so I dont know what the exact dimensions are.

Vifa 12" Subwoofer - Jaycar Electronics

Can someone please inform me of the recommended enclosure size and port length?

This would be very helpfull thanks.
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by shporsche View Post
..Can someone please inform me of the recommended enclosure size and port length?
Hi shporsche,

FYI, See the first picture: A 'Wolksvagen' BR and compare with the 'Porsche' version: a T-TQWT in the next picture.

b
Attached Images
File Type: gif Vifa-CS-2353_12inch_AperiodicPorted_Box.GIF (101.0 KB, 666 views)
File Type: gif Vifa-CS-2353_T-TQWT.GIF (181.3 KB, 646 views)
Old 24th March 2010, 12:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi shporsche,

FYI, See the first picture: A 'Wolksvagen' BR and compare with the 'Porsche' version: a T-TQWT in the next picture.

b

Thanks for your help bjorno
Old 24th March 2010, 01:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shporsche View Post
Thanks for your help bjorno
Hi shporsche,

Forgot to mention the need for stuffing’s in the port: See the picture.

It’s not much but some is needed to reflect the MJK simulation and IME best done by trial and error.

Sometimes a similar satisfactorily result is achieved by omitting the port stuffing and just pushing the box stuffing’s to slightly obstruct the inside of the port.

b
Attached Images
File Type: gif port.GIF (6.1 KB, 584 views)
Old 17th April 2012, 01:16 AM   #5
D1GGY is offline D1GGY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

A bit of thread resurrection here...

I have just purchased a "VIFA" CS2353 driver and have been researching how best to use it and came across this thread.

I have a couple of questions that i hope can be answered.

a - What advantages would such a design have over a ported box that i am more familiar with.
b - It is not clear to me what the dimensions of the cabinet are, are all three images related to the same design?

Cheers,

MG

Last edited by D1GGY; 17th April 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 17th April 2012, 07:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok so i have been doing some research online and now understand the T-TQWT approach, I am now more interested in the design, seems a more elegant design than a box and some pipe!

I have downloaded hornresp and with a view to replicate Bjorno's findings so that i can start to dimension the enclosure.

Build thread to follow hopefully
Old 19th April 2012, 03:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok - so i have downloaded Hornresp and have inputted the data and can see how Bjorno got the outcome he has, alothough i do not understand the theory ebhind it, but can replicate the numbers he arroved at...

I am wanting to build this sub as a double fold so that it retains some WAF, but i am unsure about how to start designing the cabinet. Some searching on the net has not yet provide me with a step by step process on how to take the model information and design and construct the enclosure. Can someone point me in the right direction on how i go about designing the enclosure from the model please, as i am clearly searching for the wrong thing!

As an alternative i have seen some solutions provided by genourous contributors on this forum to modelling and was wondering if someone would be that way inclined to help me out in the same way and to also offer an explanation as to how they developed the enclosure from the data model.

Thanks

MG

Last edited by D1GGY; 19th April 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 19th April 2012, 02:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GGY View Post
..i am unsure about how to start designing the cabinet. Some searching on the net has not yet provide me with a step by step process on how to take the model information and design and construct the enclosure. Can someone point me in the right direction on how i go about designing the enclosure from the model please, as i am clearly searching for the wrong thing!..
Hi MG,

We are using HR to simulate T-TQWT's but as this sub should be stuffed with damping material from the closed end half-ways down the line:
You need in the real world to adjust the offset predicted by HR.

This is done using MJK:s program.(The first of pictures).

The second picture is showing a step by step approach on how to do a double fold. Note only 4 sections is used, HR can use up to 5: So re-labeling is necessary if to be used for a 4 section simulation.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vifa CS-2353_OD_T-TQWT.JPG (595.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: gif OD-T-TQWT_2fold.GIF (33.8 KB, 373 views)
Old 24th April 2012, 02:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bjorno - thanks for your comprehensive response. I have spent some time to understand how to construct the enclosure and am getting stuck.

i have gone down two paths...the first;-

in trying to work out the height of the enclosure the L23 length seems very short 30.4mm - perhaps i am reading it incorrectly but my understanding at the moment is that to get the enclosure height for one fold i need to calulate as fllows X = 10cm + L34 - - 100mm + 109mm = 209mm or 21cm This seems very short to me.
I then try to use L12 which is 102cm - closer to the the 'width depth' table.

The second:-

is that the 'width depth' table has all the information i need to build the cabinet - except that the overall lengths for each of the folds seems to be different - 102.6cm - 109 cm and 16cm...

Either way i am lost...

The bit i do get however is that the enclosure will be 32cm wide (plus watever thickness my wall material is)

Finally (for now ;-) ) - Would a good quality 18mm ply be a suitable enclosure material?

Thnaks for your patience..

Mark

Last edited by D1GGY; 24th April 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GGY View Post
..The bit i do get however is that the enclosure will be 32cm wide (plus watever thickness my wall material is)..

..Finally (for now ;-) ) - Would a good quality 18mm ply be a suitable enclosure material?..
Hi Mark,

My answer: Yes and Yes.

Before I start answering your other questions: I've submitted a new picture that might bring a better clarification on how to fold:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vifa CS-2353_OD_T-TQWT_example.JPG (474.7 KB, 125 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!