Klayman patent # 5177329 - tapped horn technology? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2010, 06:57 AM   #1
heyday is offline heyday  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Klayman patent # 5177329 - tapped horn technology?

High efficiency low frequency speaker system

by Arnold I. Klayman

Patent number: 5177329
Filing date: May 29, 1991
Issue date: Jan 5, 1993

Note in particular his description of figure two in the application.

BTW, hello to the group. I am a 53 year old relative newbie to speaker design, hindered by a distaste for math and no brain for any type of equations.

However, I do have a deep interest in speaker design, and I can be fairly imaginative towards subjects that interest me.

I have a few ideas...

However, I understand the necessity of learning Hornresp. It's eating my lunch!

Maybe now though, being a member and able to download the driver specs used in the tutorial will make a difference when I get up enough ambition to try it again.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon the following pdf while researching DIY speaker design, and I am inspired by the possible application of using the within info to design an enclosure that could serve as an experimental tool for tapped horns/TPQW by having reconfigurable flare configurations and interchangeable panels for different drivers, etc.

Old 21st March 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
djk is online now djk
diyAudio Member

This looks more like the Danley TH:

LOUD-SPEAKER WITH A TAPERED HORN - Google Patent Search
Old 21st March 2010, 05:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You can go much further back to see the origin of this loading idea. It seems to be "re invented" every 10 years. The reality is, that people don't do patent searches, before they claim originality. Or they just hope that it gets past the examiner.

Robert PRUDEN - 1956

Iain.
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post

True. I only brought this up because my memory failed me regarding this post by Danly here at DIYAudio:

Evolution of the Tapped Horn

-in particular the following quote:
Quote:
I wondered what happens “IF” I substituted an active source instead of a reflection and inverted the source to add instead of cancel similar to a transmission line..
However, upon re-reading that post I noticed that he actually claims that the tapered flare (along with the speaker parameters) is what is most relevant to the design:

Quote:
You need to have a “horn taper” to have the loading you need to make the response flat which the transflex didn’t have, you need to have the driver parameters and acoustic dimensions appropriately sized which the transflex didn’t have. These are more difficult than even a normal horn to design.
However, I think I recall having seen at least one "tapped horn design here at this forum with real world flat frequency response measurements that didn't have much of a tapered flare at all.

I stand corrected.

Later,
Dane
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applehorn View Post
Hi,

You can go much further back to see the origin of this loading idea. It seems to be "re invented" every 10 years. The reality is, that people don't do patent searches, before they claim originality. Or they just hope that it gets past the examiner.

Robert PRUDEN - 1956

Iain.
Good show.

So, how many years 'till I can patent an acoustic suspension speaker?

Hide this!Advertise here!