Possibly, the greatest non-servo subwoofer amp ever!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been designing a new bass guitar rig. One version is a ~1cu.ft. sub cabinet with four, 10" Dayton Titanic subs in a bipole configuration for below 200hz. Above that are two 24" tall cabinets stacked to create a line array. Those will be loaded with four, Dayton RS125T-8, 5" mid-woofers and 6 BG Neo-3 PDR tweeters bringing the final total to 4 sub drivers, 8 mid-woofers and 12 tweeters. Hell, with two of these, you could have a really potent hi-fi PA system for a small venue.

In the process of researching how I'd power this portable beast, I considered amps from several manufacturers and came upon the Crown XTi 1000. While the ratings are pushed close to clipping (275W, 0.5% THD, Stereo, 8 ohms per ch.), the amp will drive a 2 ohm load (700W). Add to that a full DSP section with 8 bands of EQ, a fully configurable crossover network, limiter, alignment delay and a pink noise generator.

Sounds good (maybe too good)? Add to that, free software to configure the DSP section via USB and a 3-year, no fault warranty. If you blow the amp up, they replace it, period. Now that sounds pretty fantastic. And, because it's a Class I amp, it's about 85% efficient and only pulls 38 watts at idle.

The price, you ask? Musician's Friend sells B-Stock units for $400, most other places sell new for $500. For an extra $300, you can almost triple your power with the XTi 4000.

Check it out at XTi Series. I'm not a rep for the company. I just think that this is a huge bargain that people should know about. Why power you subs with a cheap plate amp when you can have a real amp?

Do forget to scroll through the photos so you can check out DSP software... quite sweet.

jeff

Interesting. Seems that there is a high pass filter somewhere in the system. Wonder if the DSP section was off for this test? Doing some research, I'd run into several less than glowing reviews of the XTi series in it's first few years out (2005 - 2007), but that's changed in the last year or so. Seems that they over-reached and took them a while to sort out their issues.

I'm going to be in touch with Crown about this. Response to 10hz should be near perfect. I'll post back about what I found.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.