PD 184 sub bas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Old plans, old drivers

New PDN.15BR40 seems a better driver with more Xmax
Since the low Fs PD woofers are gone, I suspect they have had problems with those

If you want a monster sub, take a look at BMS 18N860
Expencive, but its perfect fore closed box with EQ

okay, but are the measurements real? I really need the high efficiency in the first octave, since it's for a batterypower mobile rig

The reason why i choose that plan is because i can get those drivers cheap.

Too expencive and i don't have any eq equipment for this rig

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I really need the high efficiency in the first octave, since it's for a batterypower mobile rig

Then I think you should go fore a straight 100db driver, with higher Fs

I dont think its efficiency you are looking at
Its more likely the max SPL

If you calculate a design with those low Fs pro woofers you mostly end around 95db sensitivity

But there are some genuine 100db drivers
And you can give it a small peak around 50hz with the box tuning, and gain a few "free" db

Can the mesurements be real? 103db/w
The PD184 has a standard sensitivity of 97Db 1W/M. As the enclosure desing is a 6th order bandpass then a healthy increase in efficiency isn't out of the question, yes it's definately possible :D

If i knew all the internal dimensions i'd model it on WinISD pro, but my guess is it'd likely be bang on the money ;)

E2A:- I just tried modelling a 6th order bandpass using the PD184. I got a lot of similar responses but i couldn't get the efficiency over 95Db 1W/M :rolleyes:

Maybe it's a good idea to take certain things with a pinch of salt. I don't believe it could do it, though add room gain or cabin gain in a car & it'd still be monsterous.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What I expected

You need a 15" with Fs around 50hz
A light cone will give you a 100db driver
Tune it with a small peak before rolloff around 50hz

Maybe something like Eminence Kappalite 3015 might work
Only sim/calculation will tell
I doubt the cheaper semi pro woofers will get up there

Found it at BlueAran.UK, but nowhere else to find it, all LF version

Are you aware that you can get switch mode that convert 12V to higher voltage
But I suppose its no free lunch either
http://classdaudio.com/index.php/12v-dc-switching-power-supply-500-watt-car-audio.html

A lower power driver will give you greater efficiency.
Try looking at the lower power Eminence 15" drivers
The Beta 15" can handle 100W in a bass cabinet.
http://www.eminence-speaker.com/pdf/cab-beta-15a.pdf
2 of them in a cabinet would give you a few more dB.
Should be easy to optimise a design to make the best use of your 100W.
Another point to make is to use a steep highpass filter to conserve the power.

Ups i didn't see that. just saw the 500watts and something that looked like an amplifier.
(i probably should't be reading forums during class :p)
Thats kinda cool, cause then i could use my hypex amps :)

But do any of you guys (or gals) have some plans that you think is better, because i don't have any experience(or know how) designing horns myself and i have read alot of threads about subs for outdoor use.

Buttom line, they all have different opinions! some of the treads are quite old and thus i would like some new plans, so i have something concrete to consider

And thank you guys for all your help :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.