need loud and low.. size doesn't matter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2010, 03:33 AM   #1
justint is offline justint  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need loud and low.. size doesn't matter

My friend is looking to hit 140 spl in his bar and also have it hit just stupid loud low frequency spl levels.. box size does not matter as this bar is 9000 sq.ft. with ample room.. Any ideas? speaker budget is $1000 ... get creative help us with our project.. Thanks a ton for all the ideas and Help!!!!
Old 23rd February 2010, 04:07 AM   #2
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justint View Post
My friend is looking to hit 140 spl in his bar and also have it hit just stupid loud low frequency spl levels.. box size does not matter as this bar is 9000 sq.ft. with ample room.. Any ideas? speaker budget is $1000 ... get creative help us with our project.. Thanks a ton for all the ideas and Help!!!!
Warning, gratuitous link to something I already did....

jbell's set of four tapped horns

Get the 3015lf's from speakerhardware.com for $150 ea. If you could push your total budget a little past $1k, you could do 6 of them including plywood, which would fill 3 per side on an amp and be what you are looking for.

I used 4 of them for a football stadium... so I'm guessing they'll take bar duty.

I recommend high pass 48db/oct at 36-38hz, low pass at 90hz 24db/oct. LR.

Screamerusa's LIVE SOUND Specific Tapped Horn thread... smaller TH had issues with the kitchen staff... knocking stuff off the shelves with 4. These are directional, be careful where you point them. Scott's design is much better and louder than mine, but doesn't go as low. You have to decide if that extra few Hz lower is worth it or not. Scott reports running all night long, 7 days a week at 123db/cabinet, which is 135 total for 4.

Last edited by jbell; 23rd February 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Will his insurance cover the lawsuits brought by all his deaf customers??

140dB is insane, even if our hearing is inefficient at low frequencies it will still do damage, even my hunting rifles are not that loud at ear level
Old 24th February 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
jbell is offline jbell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Will his insurance cover the lawsuits brought by all his deaf customers??

140dB is insane, even if our hearing is inefficient at low frequencies it will still do damage, even my hunting rifles are not that loud at ear level
yea I 'hear' ya on that one.. (pun in intended)

here's my suggestion of 6 of my big cabinet in a corner... kinda nuts huh?

Although the beautiful thing about TH's... response is almost exactly the same, 1 cabinet or 6, so he can choose just how nuts he wants to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silly.JPG (56.5 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by jbell; 24th February 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 24th February 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

140dB peak at 40hz at 1M will be about 124dB at 20 foot.

That's C scale, A scale will roll-off 20dB in one decade, so 104dB peak.

OSHA says 105dB A 24 one hour exposure limit should be no more than 105dB.

OSHA numbers are for noise. While studies exist showing music is not as damaging as noise, I would still follow the noise guidelines. Noise warnings should be posted. Hearing protection should be offered to customers, and required for staff.
Old 24th February 2010, 01:28 PM   #6
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

One box in corner (build a pair if you dare):

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 24th February 2010, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My family owns a major night club here in Mn. band nights avg 105db across the room. Dance nights avg 120+ db at the back of the 100'+ long room. I'm sure it's well over 140db at the subwoofers. in fact you cannot hold your hands against the speaker grills. it is physically fatiguing to work those dance nights. it is so loud it just beats the body up. even with earplugs its loud.
Old 24th February 2010, 01:52 PM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

What I use:

Click the image to open in full size.

Four boxes do 140dB (peak), -3dB at 29hz:

Click the image to open in full size.

This sound company owns 12 of these, and has never used more than 8 at one time. They use the Crest V1500 for lows, another V1500 for mids, and a V450 for highs (one rack on each side of the stage for large jobs).
Old 24th February 2010, 02:16 PM   #9
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Edit post #5 to read:

OSHA says for a one hour exposure limit it should be no more than 105dB.

"My family owns a major night club here in Mn. band nights avg 105db across the room. Dance nights avg 120+ db at the back of the 100'+ long room. I'm sure it's well over 140db at the subwoofers. in fact you cannot hold your hands against the speaker grills. it is physically fatiguing to work those dance nights. it is so loud it just beats the body up. even with earplugs its loud. "

Exactly.

The room shown in the above photo is 120'x120'x14', and on music the system played 122dB 'C' in most of the room. After 4 hours you certainly do feel like you have been beat up.

"in fact you cannot hold your hands against the speaker grills."

I haven't been able to build a grill with enough open area for this box, they run without grills.

Most people are smart enough to stay clear of this stack, they seldom stand closer than 10'~15' when it's thumping.

Most program material does not sound good that loud, and the system only gets pushed on the few songs that do sound good (loud).

Last edited by djk; 24th February 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 24th February 2010, 02:18 PM   #10
justint is offline justint  United States
diyAudio Member

lol.. I remember the days when I was young and dumb my car was spl tested at the dash @ 155db's still have the trophies for winning car spl showdowns.. and to think I used to listen to music that would hit mid 140's in the car for sometimes 2-3 hours straight... thinking back it probobly was not smart but my hearing is still very good 10years later.. idk.. his choice not mine.. I just like building boxes.. kind of fun to test.. by the way where do you guys live.. are most of us U.S. or? just wondering this is a blast talking with audio fanatics!!

Hide this!Advertise here!