Exodus vs JL 13W7 vs Peerless subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, i am currently building a custom home theater (7m x 6m x 3m) and are wanting to seek others advice on the cleanest sub i can build with impact.
I have used many dual Peerless subs previously with good results but am wanting a bit more.
I want to use either 4 x 12" 830847 peerless subs or 2 x JL 13W7 subs or 2 x 21" Exodus subwoofers. Or sshould i go for something else like Audio Pulse? (i had 2 x TC Sounds LMS 15's but sold them)

Flexible with type of cabinets but prefering sealed.

Any feedback or experiences with these drivers would be greatly appreciated.

...Flexible with type of cabinets but prefering sealed.

Any feedback or experiences with these drivers would be greatly appreciated...

Hi Thims,

FYI, My contribution concerns only the suggested Peerless 830847 woofers.

I would first build a main sub to be placed close to one of the shorter walls, a T-TQWT, and then 3-ported boxes with the flexibility to be driven with closed ports (Bessel Qtc).

b

Attachments

• Peerless-830847_T-TQWT.GIF
    Peerless-830847_T-TQWT.GIF
    178.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Peerless-830847-ported-closed-Qt,Qtc-0,577.GIF
    Peerless-830847-ported-closed-Qt,Qtc-0,577.GIF
    83.9 KB · Views: 413
The 4x XXLS sounds like the best option of the three presented.

The JL W7 doesn't have Faraday rings in the motor, so despite its admirable BL linearity it suffers from the typical amusicality of long-coil overhung woofers due to high inductance and inductance variation.

Nothing wrong with the Mael-21 except for the box size required. (Remember that it's a motor originally designed for an 18" cone, with a much larger top assembly bolted to it.) Also, size/finances may limit you to two, and the more subs one can place around a room, the better. If you can find the space for three Mael-18's you'll be better off.

The XXLS 12 is a known high quality woofer with a well-designed motor and suspension, and four of them placed properly will yield smooth response all over the room.

However, an option that would be more space-efficient and better sounding would be to combine a couple of your options. Consider using one bruiser sub (a Mael-21, say) and then two XXLS's (or even, if budget is a concern, Peerless SLS12's) as secondary subs. Put the bruiser in the corner, one of the secondary subs far away from it, and the third far away from either of the other two and above the room's centerline.

Thank you all for your reply's.

What advantage would there be placing a single driver in a T-TQWT on a shorter wall with 3 other (ported sealed) subs. I understand using multiple subs gives a better room response but am trying to work out why 1 would be different?

So far 4 Peerless drivers looks like the way to go.

Thanks

Thank you all for your reply's.

What advantage would there be placing a single driver in a T-TQWT on a shorter wall with 3 other (ported sealed) subs. I understand using multiple subs gives a better room response but am trying to work out why 1 would be different?

So far 4 Peerless drivers looks like the way to go.

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the question. Why would you want to put all those subs on one wall? Doing so might give you more SPL, but it will do nothing to smooth out the response.

If you're asking why one could be different, in truth they can all be different. Might even be some advantages in that, as you further randomize room mode excitation by using different subs. But it doesn't matter that much. Different placement will tune the same sub differently, anyway.

In general, I prefer all sealed subs, because that way you don't have any of the extreme-LF phase problems that can come with woofers unloading, etc. Also, sealed subs are smaller subs, for a given woofer.

A quarter-wave pipe probably isn't the best idea for a sub anyway, given the size required.

I have spoken to Kevin and received some good feedback but I want to hear from the diy community to see if anyone has some personal experience with these subs.

What did Kevin say?
He's a standup guy that will tell you the way it is. I've done business with him for years and have never gotten any ** from him. He backs up what he says, stands behind his products (which are excellent, BTW) and goes far beyond what is usually encountered in this business. He has an exceptional reputation within the DIY Community, which is well deserved, IMO.

The subs are about as good as it gets and I've built many over the years.

Best Regards,
TerryO

The questions I had for him dealt only with his product. He recommended using a passive radiator with the 21" or 18" for max output with the smallest box but what I am looking for is max output at the lowest frequency which requires a very big box. So, I wanted to see what the DIY community thought about these subs. From the specs, the Exodus sub should be the better of the two. I used Bass Box Pro to see how well each would do and they came out about the same, I suspect I got something wrong though.

At ~70 ft^3 overall for a simple BP4 M-18 (single coil), 'big' is an understatement. I guess if you have the $$$/space 'budget though.........

Also, if the sim is close, there's no way any typical home construction can handle this at rated power, but it sure would be entertaining while it lasted. :D

GM

What do you guys think of the Exodus 18" vs the Mach 5 18"? They look like the same woofer. Anyone tried either of these?

While they share a basket, they're not in the same league. The Exodus Maelstrom-X has triple Faraday rings for lower inductance/inductance varation, and the XBL^2 motor with its shorter coil and multiple gaps. Not to mention about 30% more throw.

The IXL-18 is just a convention long-coil woofer. It has much limited bandwidth compared to the Mael-X (on top), and I would expect its response to have a large upper bass bump due to the high inductance of its motor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.